What to plant in pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a pasture that is mostly fescue with a little bahia and bermuda mixed in. I want to plant something that will minimize the effects of fescue on my cattle. I just want to know what kind of seed to buy and about how much it would cost to seed around 20 acres. Thanks in advance.

[email protected]

>fence posts! seriously divide it up some, steel posts and elect are just fine, graze it down close and fast, spread in some clover, keeping fesque short and in fresh regrowth is much easier than reseeding

When you build your crossfences try using a T post brace called Push-A-Post. They really work and they take about 3 seconds to install after driving the T post. they are strong and will support a 5 strand 12.5 gage high tinsel fence over a 1/4 mile.

[email protected]

> I have a pasture that is mostly
> fescue with a little bahia and
> bermuda mixed in. I want to plant
> something that will minimize the
> effects of fescue on my cattle. I
> just want to know what kind of
> seed to buy and about how much it
> would cost to seed around 20
> acres. Thanks in advance. It depends alot on where you are and what you climate and soil is like. But it is a big,big help to go to a nearby feed dealer and get a mineral that is designed to be fed to cows on fescue. I know Hubbard has a good one and I am sure that Kent does too just ask a nearby feed dealer for fescue mineral.

The mixture you already have is good just don't let it get to tall. Keep it clipped & you won't have to replant it.

Get a bunch of goats & sheep! Have them graze it down to nothing. Then sell them or keep them. (WHATEVER) Plant what you like then put the cattle back on it. If that's kinda what you meant???
Ellie May

But on the other hand you might want to spread a little clover in with it. Bahaia & sweet clover is what I graze my cattle on for the summer.

Roy when you say "sweet clover" do you mean Alyceclover? I was thinking of cutting into my bahia with some of that for the nitrogen gains.

Arsenic in small doses is about the same. Round up and start over with out fescue.

D.R. Cattle":3jiwbkku said:
Roy when you say "sweet clover" do you mean Alyceclover? I was thinking of cutting into my bahia with some of that for the nitrogen gains.
Make sure you get your soil tested. I planted some alyce in my pastures that sprouted, but didn't grow because my PH was off. Grass would grow, but clover wouldn't. Ended up having to throw a ton an a half of lime per acre to bring it back right. Spent money on seeds for nothing.

Here in Ohio I don't think our cattle would take to the kinda pasture you all have out west. Here(at least at my place) the cattle graze white clover and alfalfa and some timothy. My cattle are spoiled I guess. Definately not range cattle. And Ellie May, I like to keep my horses away from my good cattle pasture. The horses earn their hay working cattle but they still don't get the "good" stuff. Horses, goats and sheep pull the grass out by the roots and leave nothing to grow back.

A. delaGarza":55rfq7hr said:
certherfbeef":55rfq7hr said:
Campground Cattle, what is bahia?

Bahia is a South American perenial grass that could grow almos 1 1/2 ft. tall, the best planting time will be in April, could be considered a weed

bahia is a bad word around our place. we use ally in the pastures when we fertilize and spot spray and stray patches in the hay fields. the cows like it but it's stemmy and doesn't yield much. it will take over a good coastal bermuda field in almost no time. some folks around here call it the "poor man's coastal" because it will grow almost anywhere & you don't have to fertilize as heavily or baby it like coastal.

txag":1z20vl48 said:
A. delaGarza":1z20vl48 said:
certherfbeef":1z20vl48 said:
Campground Cattle, what is bahia?

Bahia is a South American perenial grass that could grow almos 1 1/2 ft. tall, the best planting time will be in April, could be considered a weed

bahia is a bad word around our place. we use ally in the pastures when we fertilize and spot spray and stray patches in the hay fields. the cows like it but it's stemmy and doesn't yield much. it will take over a good coastal bermuda field in almost no time. some folks around here call it the "poor man's coastal" because it will grow almost anywhere & you don't have to fertilize as heavily or baby it like coastal.

Well I fit the poor man description,and we consider it good grass. You would love to have a pasture full in East Texas. If you ask a cattleman in East Texas what the best kinda of grass you would get an awnser is it green and will cows eat it.

I'm making a living off of bahia. My cows stay fat and other ranchers use my mowing services. Doesn't die from flooding or drought. Not high in protein but so much of it, it makes up for itself.

Based on my own experiences with bermuda and bahia, as well as reports I've read: Bahia will also tolerate shade and wet ground better than bermuda. It will brown out quicker than bermuda in a drought but if it gets a little sprinkle it will green up again real fast. If you plan on cutting it for hay the Argentine variety is better than Pensacola (and possbly Tifton) due to its longer, upright growth pattern --- but try to keep those cutters sharp! And when fall army worms have devastated my bermuda they didn't seem to want to bother the bahia. But I agree, in areas where both grow the bahia is much despised by the bermuda lovers, especially the hay guys, and Ally is used here to selectively kill the Bahia. Arnold Ziffle