What to plant in pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

Paraguay Bahia is by far the best for hay in the Bahia family. I have a seventeen acre hay field in paraguay and its superior to my 5 acre field of argentine.

Campground Cattle":2jx1zmbl said:
txag":2jx1zmbl said:
A. delaGarza":2jx1zmbl said:
certherfbeef":2jx1zmbl said:
Campground Cattle, what is bahia?

Bahia is a South American perenial grass that could grow almos 1 1/2 ft. tall, the best planting time will be in April, could be considered a weed

bahia is a bad word around our place. we use ally in the pastures when we fertilize and spot spray and stray patches in the hay fields. the cows like it but it's stemmy and doesn't yield much. it will take over a good coastal bermuda field in almost no time. some folks around here call it the "poor man's coastal" because it will grow almost anywhere & you don't have to fertilize as heavily or baby it like coastal.

Well I fit the poor man description,and we consider it good grass. You would love to have a pasture full in East Texas. If you ask a cattleman in East Texas what the best kinda of grass you would get an awnser is it green and will cows eat it.

hey campground,

i didn't mean any offense w/calling it "poor man's coastal" (that's actually a term i heard from someone who likes bahia).....we're poor folks, too! :lol:

in some places around here, bahia will grow in places where other grasses won't. some folks swear by it, & others just swear at it.

Tifton-9: This improved variety of Pensacola Bahiagrass has excellent seedling vigor to ensure fast establishment. Generally considered a forage variety, Tifton-9 is a vigorous, upright grass with light green, longer, fine textured leaves that can be used as a low maintenance, economy turfgrass. Tifton-9 Bahiagrass will stay green later into fall and green up earlier in the spring. Certified seed available.

Argentine: This variety is traditionally used for pastures and lawns in adapted areas. Argentine Bahiagrass has a better green color, more dense growth habit and better disease resistance than other common varieties. Good seed availability.

Paraguay: Used mostly in central and southern Florida, this variety has a medium texture, with shorter, narrower leaves and good turf density. Paraguay Bahiagrass can withstand light frosts and remain green, and is more tolerant of the occasional hard freeze. Limited seed availability.

Pensacola: Medium textured and blue-green in color, Pensacola Bahiagrass will produce an upright, open turf that can maintain good color during winter months in frost-free areas. Pensacola Bahiagrass will respond well to regular fertilizer applications. Generally good seed availability

txag":103tdczb said:
Campground Cattle":103tdczb said:
txag":103tdczb said:
A. delaGarza":103tdczb said:
certherfbeef":103tdczb said:
Campground Cattle, what is bahia?

Bahia is a South American perenial grass that could grow almos 1 1/2 ft. tall, the best planting time will be in April, could be considered a weed

bahia is a bad word around our place. we use ally in the pastures when we fertilize and spot spray and stray patches in the hay fields. the cows like it but it's stemmy and doesn't yield much. it will take over a good coastal bermuda field in almost no time. some folks around here call it the "poor man's coastal" because it will grow almost anywhere & you don't have to fertilize as heavily or baby it like coastal.

Well I fit the poor man description,and we consider it good grass. You would love to have a pasture full in East Texas. If you ask a cattleman in East Texas what the best kinda of grass you would get an awnser is it green and will cows eat it.

hey campground,

i didn't mean any offense w/calling it "poor man's coastal" (that's actually a term i heard from someone who likes bahia).....we're poor folks, too! :lol:

in some places around here, bahia will grow in places where other grasses won't. some folks swear by it, & others just swear at it.

None taken you know me better than that. If I could could grow that finicky coastal I would . Wore out a good disc sprigging that sickly stuff. Finally gave up you know how it is if you can't beat em join em.

Campground Cattle":2dxcr1yf said:
None taken you know me better than that. If I could could grow that finicky coastal I would . Wore out a good disc sprigging that sickly stuff. Finally gave up you know how it is if you can't beat em join em.

we have a pretty good variety of grasses (just no bahia).....coastal, klein, tifton 85, bluestem, jiggs, & rye & oats in the winter to name a few.

txag":27vg83v5 said:
Campground Cattle":27vg83v5 said:

we have a pretty good variety of grasses (just no bahia).....coastal, klein, tifton 85, bluestem, jiggs, & rye & oats in the winter to name a few.

Have ya'll tried elbon rye for winter pasture we have had great sucess and not near as hard on the soil as oats.

Campground Cattle":3fiyhrom said:
Have ya'll tried elbon rye for winter pasture we have had great sucess and not near as hard on the soil as oats.

we just use whatever rye (tetraploid) the feed store gets in each year. it's not always the same. we drill oats & overseed w/the rye.

txag":2dhqy64v said:
Campground Cattle":2dhqy64v said:

we just use whatever rye (tetraploid) the feed store gets in each year. it's not always the same. we drill oats & overseed w/the rye.

Elbon

Elbon rye was released by the Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station. It was mass selected and increased at the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Inc., from seed obtained from the Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station.

Elbon has excellent winter forage production and early maturity. It has an upright growth habit and large soft stems. The forage has high moister content, produces plants with have more winter growth, are more erect, and are approximately two weeks earlier than Abruzzi.

Elbon is probably best adapted to Southern and Eastern Oklahoma; however, it is receommended throughout the state. Elbon is winterhardy and will grow rapidly during the warm periods in the cold winter months. Late freezes may injure the plant but it will usually recover and produce a seed crop.

Well I'm in south Ga. (hot hot hot) I use bahai because it does real good though the drougts. The cows love it & stay fat. It spiders in all part of the pasture and recovers well even if over grazed. The reson I cut sweet clover into it is because at the first touch of cold it dies and I could still graze the clover and died bahai for another month. By that time my rye & rye grass mix is well under way.

I will like to post some pics. of some of my pastures; a Brizantha grass, a combination of Klein, Bluesteam, Buffel, Jonhson & Grama grasses and some others but I don't know how, if some one could help me I will e-mail them to him or her

I have some Fescue/Bermuda/Bahia mixed pastures and they work great if you intensively graze them and fertilize often. I have planted some common bermuda on some new ground last year and this year I am trying some Texas Tough bermudagrass. I cant wait to see how Texas Tough compares to my common. I kinda have a feeling that my common might hang with it. Bahia is great but not as easy to establish as common bermuda. Bahia is a lot like centipede grass in the way that it slowly invades and takes over everything.

i never have figured out how they got "ba-HAY-uh" out of the word bahia :!: :?:

what can I plant in the pasture now ? We want to bale it for hay. The area we live in is about 40 miles from Tulas ,Oklahoma

certherfbeef":1gklkj6s said:
Horses, goats and sheep pull the grass out by the roots and leave nothing to grow back.

My goats don't pull it up by the roots. I grew up near the 'Lamb Capitol' of the US (Dixon, Calif.) and I assure you I have never seen sheep pulling up grass by the roots. Come to think of it I never saw a horse with a ball of roots dangling from its lips either.

What the three have in common is both upper and lower incisors that allow them to clip the grass very close to the ground. This can sometimes kill the growing stem of the grass. Even they won't clip this short if there is plenty of grass to eat otherwise. They do it in desperation.

Overgrazing kills pastures and it doesn't matter what kind of animal does it.

Ellie May":3r2k39v5 said:
Get a bunch of goats & sheep! Have them graze it down to nothing. Then sell them or keep them. (WHATEVER) Plant what you like then put the cattle back on it. If that's kinda what you meant???
Ellie May

goats are natural browsers, they don't grub pastures unless you make them. And it's unhealthy, parasites.

Latest posts