What to mix with Oats/Wheat for Nitrogen?

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm having someone plant me 20ac of wheat and 20 ac of oats. I've read that legumes will fixate nitrogen from the air and into the soil.

I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of what legumes to mix with oats and wheat here in the Corsicana, TX area.

I tried calling the ext agent but he's never there when I call so I've had no luck there.

Any ideas would be appreaciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

The Navarro County agent retired in August so that is why he is not there. What kind of soil do you have? It makes a big difference on variety selection. How well does the soil drain? Corsicana area has some pretty black heavy soils and some lighter sandy soils.

Oh, so that's why he's not there. Thanks for the heads up!

The area I'm doing is lighter sandy soil that was producing hay as early as this past April but the guy that was renting it didn't do anything more and the place filled up with sunflowers. About 100 ac worth of it.

Since money is in short supply, I want to do only 40 acres. The man doing the work says he has to plow it twice.

This 100 ac has not clay and the soild is nice and loose; especially after the short rains we've had. Its just full of dried up sunflower plants. Most below 30 inches.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew":21nvv1ol said:
Oh, so that's why he's not there. Thanks for the heads up!

The area I'm doing is lighter sandy soil that was producing hay as early as this past April but the guy that was renting it didn't do anything more and the place filled up with sunflowers. About 100 ac worth of it.

Since money is in short supply, I want to do only 40 acres. The man doing the work says he has to plow it twice.

This 100 ac has not clay and the soild is nice and loose; especially after the short rains we've had. Its just full of dried up sunflower plants. Most below 30 inches.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hairy vetch would be a good choice, about 20 lbs per acre. Any legume you plant will not make any nitrogen available until it dies. If you fertilize with a nitroigen fertilizer then the legumes will not fix any nitrogen from the air. Vetch can be broadcast alone in the grass without any plowing and get a pretty good stand. Hairy vetch is a vine type legume and a good soil builder. If you plow two times then get ready for a good weed crop next summer.

Talk with your local NRCS guy. They are usually in the same office with the FSA at the USDA. The NRCS guys keep detailed maps of soil types AND would tell you what types of grasses, legumes, etc. they would recommend if you were doing a cost share with them.

Go to this site and look at the various clovers. In your area you may want to look at ball clover, rose clover or hairy vetch.

Latest posts