What to Look for?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I plan to AI my Jersey milk cow this spring. I am planning on buying Jersey bull semen. I have already spoken with the local semen dealer and he can get me some.
Now what do I want to look for in this bull? What info do I need to know? Do not want to breed her to our Hereford bulls due to her small size.

History of my Jersey, bought her '06 in the fall as a weanling, turned out that she was bred. Had the calf in May.
She is still smaller then she should be, right now she is up with our heifer calves getting extra feed. Her calf was weaned in November.

I used to work for a jersey farmer that bred his lesser genetic cows to hereford.The cows calved out without problems we never had to pull a calf.I think he said that jerseys have a flexible pelvis. If you want to ai her look for bulls + for milk,feet +legs and udder composits.

Thanks Hillsdown.
Next question. Talked to our vet and he mentioned a number to look for that concerns the udder and milking ability. Do you know what he is talking about? Is there a scale I can look at so I understand it better?

Northernboy she is smaller then an average Jersey and our bulls throw some good size calves 85#-90# the heifer bull is smaller at around 75#-80#. There is also a demand for Jersey heifer calves. Alot of cattlemen want that milkcow for a nurse maid for orphaned calves or rejected calves.
If she was bigger I would do it. I can get a picture of her, I just can't figure out how to post it on this thread. :lol: :oops:
I can get it on the photo gallery though.

Your semen rep, if he deals much with the dairy breeds, should be able to advise and recommend a bull that would fit your criteria. Dairy bulls have PTAs, similar to EPDs for beef cattle. Not sure what all they cover though.

http://greenbook.usjersey.com/Portals/1 ... AIType.htm

This is a list of type.

http://greenbook.usjersey.com/Portals/1 ... AIProd.htm

This is a list for production.Notice the top bull how many herds he has daughters in and how many daughters he has milking.I can't help you out on type as I am not sure how the association does their scoring it is different than Holstein Canada.
So get your rep to look at your cow and discuss with him what you should like to strengthen on her.I would also go with a bull that is VG or Excellent.

Bred my Jersey gal to a Hereford and she had a nice 75# strapping bull calf with no problem....he looks all Hereford...actually he looks like I picked a calf up from someone else to put on her!
Will be some good freezer meat someday! ;-)
Jay

Have a client over in East Texas that breeds his jerseys to red Brahman bulls. Get some out of this world calves. And he milks about 50 of them. In the summer when his holsteins are dieing in the heat those crosses are out grazing. After about the 3rd lactation he sells them bred and instead of getting packer cow price has just what the beef cow folks are looking for and gets top money.