What to look for?

Help Support CattleToday:

It is generally true for all breeds, BUT I belief it should be taken with a pinch of salt or one should try and see the bigger picture instead of getting hung up on details.

What he describes is good conformation and phenotype in general, whether all the actual measuring is neccesary is doubtful. If it can help others to develope an eye for cattle conformation then it has served its pupose in my opinion.

I am not about to start culling if all the ratios isn't exactly spot on.

I know a purebred Welsh and Galloway breeder who swears by Gerald Fry's linear measurement system and measures all his bulls before sale day. He's probably got about the best, most functional group of Welsh and Galloway cows in Canada, and its reflected in his bulls (and the money he gets), come sale day.

As Knersie said, its really only a system used to describe good phenotype. I think its a good way to ensure that your eyes don't make a mistake when picking out your bulls.

Rod

KNERSIE":3prui9pq said:
It is generally true for all breeds, BUT I belief it should be taken with a pinch of salt or one should try and see the bigger picture instead of getting hung up on details.

What he describes is good conformation and phenotype in general, whether all the actual measuring is neccesary is doubtful. If it can help others to develope an eye for cattle conformation then it has served its pupose in my opinion.

I am not about to start culling if all the ratios isn't exactly spot on.
:nod:

Latest posts