What to look for when buying hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune

Reaction score
Pretty stupid question I'm sure but I know that all hay isn't equal. I'm buying some hay soon (not much, just a few tons) but I would love to know some basic hallmarks or flags to be aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Smell it, sour-don;t buy, too dry and shattery-don;t buy, weedy-don;t buy, too wet-don;t buy, composition i.e. kinds of grass. Those are the first things I look at. Not all inclusive but it will get you started. If you can get some and have an analysis done before buying all the better.

The best thing to look for is a forage test before you buy! That way you know exactly what the feed value of the hay is and can offer or price accordingly. In absence of that, look to see if any mold is present. White chalky dust, musty smell. A dark brown to black color indicates the hay has gotten too hot and carmelized. (destroys and ties up nutrients). If it passes that, look for a large percentage of leaf content and little to no seed heads. Indicates it was cut and baled to achieve max nutrient content. If it is stemy and full of seed heads it was cut too mature and the feed value will be low. Green color is not a very reliable indicator of quality. Leaf content and maturity will affect quality the most. I have tested some very good hay that was a light golden color and some very poor hay thats was very bright green. All the green color indicates is how fast the hay dried.

The first question I would ask is where was it cut? If you know the field or can see the field before you buy you can get an idea of whether or not you should continue with the seller. If the field or surrounding area looks weedy, apt to not the hay is to.

Rhune":2npfbg7v said:
Wow. Amazing info.

"forage test".. what is that? Do hay sellers routinely have one on file?

The good ones do. Some of the "not so good ones" will get one test done and use it for every load they sell. I prefer to know who I'm buying from, pull my own samples and have the sample tested prior to buying. Results may help you make up your mind, kill the deal or at least let you know what is in the bale.

If it smells good, looks great, and tests perfect, kick the bale and try to get the producer to take less than what it costs to produce it. (that's what most folks do).

A lot depends on what time of grass it is. We put up rye grass for our cows and it looks horrible on the outside but once you dig in an inch it looks and smells great. Also peanut hay looks like junk but makes good cow hay. Bermuda hay is easier to determine the quality. Once it gets long and stemmy the quality goes down

This is a feed analysis of our 2011 2nd cut alfalfa/mixed grass hay .
2HHrx17tpw.jpg

backhoeboogie":1ll5qzan said:
If it smells good, looks great, and tests perfect, kick the bale and try to get the producer to take less than what it costs to produce it. (that's what most folks do).
Most?? Painting with a mighty wide brush. But if he says "sold" then it's a deal.

TexasBred":1qhbr8t0 said:
backhoeboogie":1qhbr8t0 said:
Most?? Painting with a mighty wide brush. But if he says "sold" then it's a deal.

Oh heck yes. If I could buy good fertilized coastal for less than cost, I am in.

hillsdown":2nsw1nbt said:

Nice hay test there HD. Looks like probably more grass than alfalfa but should work well for you. Don't pay attention to RFV as it's just another calculated number.

backhoeboogie":6ldhfcv1 said:
TexasBred":6ldhfcv1 said:
backhoeboogie":6ldhfcv1 said:

Oh heck yes. If I could buy good fertilized coastal for less than cost, I am in.

Backhoe, if you could buy fertilized coastal at less than cost right now, I'm quite sure you would be hospitalized from shock. In fact, you might go into shock if you could buy any coastal at all!

I'm happy for rhune that he/she has hay to select from and make a choice. And all the answers given to make a selection are excellent ones in my opinion. Around here, it's rare that a baler has any hay sample results to offer so you either have to know the producer or take your chances.

Down here, the question would be: How do you choose the right rice stubble hay?

backhoeboogie":101bhszj said:

Cool! So I have been doing it right. :lol:

TexasBred":1seriwsr said:
hillsdown":1seriwsr said:

Nice hay test there HD. Looks like probably more grass than alfalfa but should work well for you. Don't pay attention to RFV as it's just another calculated number.

Pretty much all Alfalfa , a very short in between season of growth and heavy rain (35 days between 1st and 2nd cut), amazed that we even got it put up dry. At almost 16.7 % protein DM , that is awesome hay especially for this year. Sold the bales for $140 a ton to a dairy .

RVF is 113 % ,I would say that is pretty decent .. ;-)