What to look for when buying Cow/Calf pairs?

Help Support CattleToday:

rfranches

Reaction score
Looking to buy 5 to 10 cow/calf pairs to turn out on 160 acres. What are good questions to ask and things to look for on the pairs prior to purchase? I frequently see "running age" in the description of cows for sale- can anyone help me with the meaning of this. I have raised dogs, pigs, sheep, chickens and horses- but never cattle. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For pairs - Consider breed, cow age, calf birth weight, bull (if known). Consider as much as you are serious about.

I don;t know what "running age" means either.
All the things that Gerard mentioned.
Am glad you are looking at cows instead of heifers since you are new to this. Buy private treaty ~ directly from the farmer. S/he will be a good mentor to you and it gives you a chance to find out more.

Ask if cow calved unassisted.
Ask about disposition. You want something easy to work with regardless of experience. Do they run when you come to look at them? Do they seem threatening? Is the farmer able to walk among them?
Is she rebred?
What kind of condition is she in with a calf at her side?
What kind of condition is her bag in?
Are her feet and legs looking as they should?
How much $?
Vaccination program they follow?

Just a few things to consider, I am sure others will add to.

ok ill give you some qs to ask.you want to know their ages.if they are exposed.if they have calves at side.if they are broke to the feed sack.if they are gentle.i wouldnt buy cows older than 6.to answer the running age q.running age means they could be 2yr olds to short an solid mouth.to broke or smooth mouth cows.now the broke or smooth mouth cows need to go to the packer.shorts an solids have 2 or 3yrs left in them.

Thanks for the replies- what is a good calf weight? We are looking at starting with cross bred pairs this year and then hopefully next year upgrading to purebred red angus or angus.

Where are you located?

You need to get a mentor asap!

Do you have facilities to handle cattle? If you don't........ don't even think about buying cattle.

We are located in Eastern Oregon...We have been working on building a new corral system- which we just completed and have cross fenced the pasture into 4 sections so we can rotate.

I would practice on some older cheep cows with young calves, that are tame and cake broke. Then you can sell them and get something a little more fancy.

rfranches":1weythsg said:
We are located in Eastern Oregon...We have been working on building a new corral system- which we just completed and have cross fenced the pasture into 4 sections so we can rotate.

Well now you're talk. You don't want to get cattle until you have the facilities to doctor them. What you need to do is ease into it. What you need is low maintenance cattle. Get some longhorns or longhorn crosses start with some steers, then some longhorn/cross cows. Buy some tame ones to start. Longhorns are hardly, disease resistance and have great calving ease. Then after you get the hang of handling cattle sell them off and get some beef cows.

LonghornRanch":3vl36r8u said:
Longhorns are hardly, disease resistance and have great calving ease. Then after you get the hang of handling cattle sell them off and get some beef cows.
Because I live in Mn ~ I know little of long horns......They are not considered beef? Then dairy?

Not to crash your little party Longhorn ranch but do know how many longhorns are in oregon let alone any other state besides warm southern ones. The total is practiclay 0 because they have horns and are often skinnier and don't get as much muscling and build as an english cross. Not that longhorns don't have their place but i don't think they are as readily available in oregon as they are in texas. If i was starting in the cattle business i would not want somethign with a 5 foot horn spread. Plus don't you need to have special facilities to handle long horns liek a different chute to accomadate their horns. If they already have working facilities designed for beef cows not longhorns they would have to cahnge things to accomodate them. rfranches i would stick to the idea of some older cows that are freindly with good calves by side that have a few years left in them and are in good condition, Such as a 5 or 6 year old cows that are tame. Salers are pretty big up your way and i have heard that they are pretty good so i would look into some crosses. Ask the farmer lots of questions, why are you selling them, have you ever had any trouble with any of the cows calving or with them being overly protective of calf, ask to see calving records if at all possible, find out what bull or bullsthey were bred to. look at where they are hosued and how the place is maintained. A well maintained place usually means well maintained cows. A run down palce sometimes meansnot well maintained cows but that is NOT ALWAYS TRUE. Walk through the cows and see how they act to your pressence. Look at their bags make sure that they are all in good shape. Don't spend to much money since this is jsut a trial run to get experience.Hope it works out for you and good luck. Oh and find some people in your local area that can mentor you.

iowafarmer,

Come on in an crash the party.

(Not to crash your little party Longhorn ranch but do know how many longhorns are in oregon let alone any other state besides warm southern ones.)

Lets see, I just counted 88 TLBAA longhorn breeders in your state Iowa for 2007. Oregon has 39 TLBAA longhorn breeders.

Just a little more education... most longhorns don't have "longhorns"... as in 5 foot horns.

PM me your address, I would be happy to mail you a copy of the 2007 TLBAA Directory.

They msut not be in my area of the state because im pretty sure the local cattle men wil run them out or jsut sit there and laugh at them all day. Longhorns bring the lowest price at the salebarns in the area besides holstiens. And since when did a longhorn not have a fairly large set of horns. Why would they call it a LONGhorn then. Had a longhorn get into our pasture and she was anythign but tame and friendly. She was from a neighbor that buys the cheap "deals" at the salebarn and then doesn't take care of his fences. She was the type of cow that stayed 1/4 mile away with her Head up. Got her in 5 months later when we brought the cows up to the place. She treid to pin people to teh walls like a dart board with her horns. MAybe they grow them diferent by you. I don't know of anyone with in a 50 mile radius that raises longhorns. I don't think they could take the winter in northwest iowa. There is a large difference between here and southern iowa. 88 isn't that many if you think about it though compared to otehr breeder lists. my email is [email protected] id like to see that list and see where they are located in iowa cause im pretty sure there aren't any near me. I could be wrong though but im pretty sure im not that there aren't any longhorn breeders in northwest iowa.

My bad when i said raises longhorns in my area ,i meant they have a herd of them and or they are registered because obviously the neighbor had one and he isn't 50 miles away. I should have made that clearer.

Seriously... If you haven't already I would go to your local sale barn for a few sales and see what comes through. Make note of the calves that bring the highest money and then watch the cows come through. Pay attention to the highest priced cows to see what is the market in your area. Watch who the order buyers are and watch what animals they bid on. Talk to a few of them after the sale, talk to a few of the oldtimers too. There is absolutely a wealth of knowledge sitting in that sale barn, some will not be willing to talk but those that do can give you a priceless education.

I spoke to a local rancher last night that is looking to seel 5 to 7 cow/ calf pairs. The calves were born 3 weeks ago. Here's the thing- the cows are 12 years old!!! Should I even consider buying cows that old- I was originally looking between the ages of 4 and 7. Let me know your suggestions.

i really wouldnt want to buy cows that old unless they are real cheap.because that calf an 1 more are prolly all you could get out of them.unless your planning on keeping the heifers.an raise them.an sale the bull calves.alto i cant say to much.last year i bought 2 reg cows that was 8yrs old for $1500 a pair/head.

Latest posts