What to look for when buying Cow/Calf pairs?

Help Support CattleToday:

rfranches":2himnmmx said:
I spoke to a local rancher last night that is looking to seel 5 to 7 cow/ calf pairs. The calves were born 3 weeks ago. Here's the thing- the cows are 12 years old!!! Should I even consider buying cows that old- I was originally looking between the ages of 4 and 7. Let me know your suggestions.

Depends on the price and the cows. Some are old at 4 others are young at 10.

12 years old might have a couple of years left and might not. Depends on their condition, teeth, udder, and how the lungs sound. As well as breed back.

things we look for

vaccinations what when
the bull used
HOw easy was the calving of the calves. Do they look like they are satisfied on the momma, or stealing milk from someone else.
how the bag looks. If the teats are nice breakfast sausage type or do they look like they could be icecream cones or waffle cones when they freshen...not the best. Is the bag nice and round like a soccer ball, basket ball, or does it look lop sided, or drag on the ground, front way up back way down.
Does it look like the teats and bag look like they are one in the same?
Body score
What type of feed are they on.
Heavy silage or corn can hide a multude of problems. They might not have the sane BCS on native pasture or hay.
Feet, long toes or nice and short. Walk nice or on the back hocks
How long is the tail...mother in law always said, long tail...good milk...dunno if that is true or not but got to keep MIL happy.

Just a few thoughts

rfranches":ntk80701 said:
I spoke to a local rancher last night that is looking to seel 5 to 7 cow/ calf pairs. The calves were born 3 weeks ago. Here's the thing- the cows are 12 years old!!! Should I even consider buying cows that old- I was originally looking between the ages of 4 and 7. Let me know your suggestions.

I'd take a pass. Even if the cow has a good genetic bacground and a heifer calf you could raise and keep, she is going to be challenged to raise that calf. Rebreeding her and getting another calf is also a stretch.

Because of our remote location- there are no sales that are close. At least 4 to 5 hours to get to a sale and usually they occur on weekdays which conflicts with our jobs. So unfortunately we dont really have the luxury of attending a sale. All of the purebred sales took place in Feb and March so we are a little late in the season (plus we arent ready for the cost of purebreds until we learn with something cheaper). We have $5000-6000 to invest in a starter heard and are really just looking for some quality stock to get our feet wet- but want to make an educated purchase so we can hopefully make a little money once we re-sell them. We were looking at getting only heifer calves with the pairs and then buying a bull to breed those down the line.

rfranches":mvrrs1wi said:
Because of our remote location- there are no sales that are close. At least 4 to 5 hours to get to a sale and usually they occur on weekdays which conflicts with our jobs.

What are your plans for marketing?

Placing ads on Craigslist and in the local paper. As well as flyers in the feed stores. We will keep it small until we go into a purebred operation- then develop a website and attend the purebred sales for the breed.

Even though you are several hours away from a nearby salebarn look at the market report for your state. There's a list on this website. I wouldn't pay more than what the salebarn price is especially for commercial cattle.
Look at the cows for good feet (no long toes), good legs, and a good udder (no teats enlarged).

12 y/o in this area would sell as a split more than likely........ if the calf weighed at least 250-300 lbs the cow would sell by the pound and they'd split the calf off. Depends on what kind of shape the girls are in when you go look at them....also look at what kind of pasture they are on, thin ones will have more need to have grain or something to get back in shape and fatten enough for breeding. Most of our cows start cycling within 35-45 days after calving. If he does have a bull running with them, have them preg checked by a vet - its usually around $5.00 per cow and well worth it.

Latest posts