What to look for when buying Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Might buy a commercial brahman heifer/cow or two this week. What do I need to look for? What do should I want and what should I run from when it comes to brahman cattle specific. Either doing craigslist or maybe auction. I heard heifers breed later then my brangus.

1 - Are they breathing?
2 - Are they ambulatory?
3 - Are they so ambulatory they try to tear your head off?

...etc...

I hope this had been helpful.

Brahman are smart they come in two forms fight or flight. I would rather have the fighter. If you know how to handle Brimmers they are easier to work IMO. The flighty ones always are looking for the trap and I have those go bat shyt crazy a lot faster.

Look for all the physical traits you usually look for in cattle but it becomes more important to get in an mingle with the cattle. Don't let any thing slide because it's a Brahman. Don't let any temperament issues slide thinking "they will calm down". If you aren't comfortable walking I'm amongst them... walk away. There are good, easy handling, Brahman cattle... you will just work twice as hard to find them.

If you ain't experienced with them I sure as heck wouldn't buy one out of an auction. Go see how she acts in someone's pasture and in their pens.

wacocowboy":2qunfm08 said:
If you ain't experienced with them I sure as heck wouldn't buy one out of an auction. Go see how she acts in someone's pasture and in their pens.
Yep if they stand there and watch you walk through that is the one you want.
Don't be fooled that girl will fight if you go to playing cowboy or mistreat her in her mind.
Those that stand off at fifty yards and move back every time you take a step closer can be a challenge for the inexperienced.

Look for animals that are strong in areas where the breed is weak. That would be feet, udders, and the width of torso (slab sided).

Make sure you get a beef type animal and not a dual purpose. A Grey Brahman cow will get obesely fat on nothing but clover and rye.

WP_20170225_10_20_30_Pro.jpg

JWBrahman":549pizc3 said:
Look for animals that are strong in areas where the breed is weak. That would be feet, udders, and the width of torso (slab sided).

Make sure you get a beef type animal and not a dual purpose. A Grey Brahman cow will get obesely fat on nothing but clover and rye.

John, what about their temperament? Is it as bad as the posts above indicate? If so, the OP said what should you look for? I was thinking, "the exit". Lol

Do an internet search for Beryl the Brahman videos. Or just look at the Brazilian site full of pretty ladies and Brahman cattle.

JWBrahman":7lyfq1lu said:

I will take your word for it on the feet. I haven't owned a purebred Brahman in many years. I do know that my Brahman cross cows feet hold up pretty good, in a bad environment here. Ground is as hard as woodpecker lips all summer, and soft as foreskin all winter.

Bigfoot":274p03vn said:
JWBrahman":274p03vn said:

I will take your word for it on the feet. I haven't owned a purebred Brahman in many years. I do know that my Brahman cross cows feet hold up pretty good, in a bad environment here. Ground is as hard as woodpecker lips all summer, and soft as foreskin all winter.

:cboy:

TennesseeTuxedo":x2djc73e said:
Caustic Burno":x2djc73e said:
Ol' 243":x2djc73e said:
The thing I would look for most, is an Angus or a Simmental :D :D :D
If your looking to downgrade

There you go again. I'm running out tonight to buy some a Certified Braham Beef! Oh yeah, no such thing.

Yes it is sold under the CAB label everyday. With over 40% of USA beef production being Brahman influenced it dang sure ain't all Angus going through every fast food,restaurant or grocery store.

Caustic Burno":6og5ilnm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":6og5ilnm said:
Caustic Burno":6og5ilnm said:
If your looking to downgrade

There you go again. I'm running out tonight to buy some a Certified Braham Beef! Oh yeah, no such thing.

Yes it is sold under the CAB label everyday. With over 40% of USA beef production being Brahman influenced it dang sure ain't all Angus going through every fast food,restaurant or grocery store.

Hamburger has got to come from someplace.

With 20% higher weaning weight that brings top dollar at the salebarn I don't care what they do with it when it gets to Greely Co.
O wait they are standing right next to Angus there and out producing them.

Caustic Burno":2vznltfc said:
With 20% higher weaning weight that brings top dollar at the salebarn I don't care what they do with it when it gets to Greely Co.
O wait they are standing right next to Angus there and out producing them.

But isn't that mostly skin and ears?

Caustic Burno":coap399d said:
Brahman are smart they come in two forms fight or flight. I would rather have the fighter. If you know how to handle Brimmers they are easier to work IMO. The flighty ones always are looking for the trap and I have those go bat shyt crazy a lot faster.
If they are anything like a tigerstripe I can probably handle them. I treat all my cattle with ease, a "little" pressure usually goes a long way, unless I got a defensive momma with a calf and I might have to climb to side of the corral. I wanted to start of with young heifers first. I dont work my cattle too much but when I do my corrals are almost 7 foot tall. Thats the only place I feed and keep the water so they are used to coming in there daily. If I get one that can jump that she would have to go to the sale. I want some to put my hereford on. The brahman down here in Central Tx are going for just as much or more as the tigerstripes. Registered brahman is out of my range. Too much risk on each animal for a guy with my resources.

Latest posts