What to look for in a bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar13

Reaction score
EPD's CD, BW, WW, YW, MA, CM, SC., DC, CW, RE, YG, MS MI
All really confusing...I still have trouble with all these but what would you guy's say is the most important to look for when buying an angus bull? In addition, I have gathered from the poll earlier good weight is around 1400 to 1600, sound right?

oscar13":2vnqia3u said:
All really confusing...I still have trouble with all these but what would you guy's say is the most important to look for when buying an angus bull? In addition, I have gathered from the poll earlier good weight is around 1400 to 1600, sound right?

IMO, one EPD is no more important than another. For any breed, I'd look at the breed average for growth EPDs and buy a bull with balanced EPDs no worse than average. If your cows are lacking in a particular trait, look for a bull with good across the board EPDs and emphasize the trait you want to improve.

We sell registered Angus and one EPD we watch closely is the WW EPD since many of our customers sell their calves at weaning. But today Angus bull buyers are looking at carcass traits very hard.

When we select AI bulls, we look for a balanced bull, with EPDs above average for growth, less than average on Milk is ok for our part of the country. Good luck....

Look at the full package, a bull needs to be more than numbers.

Find a few bulls of the phenotype and conformation you think your breed should look like, make a short list and then check the EPDs avoiding any extremes and only leaning slightly in the direction of certain traits you want to improve on.

If you don't know what type of phenotype and conformation you want, get a mentor that has been in the business a long time and that needs to make money out of his cattle.

oscar13":18kstrm3 said:

After going over the numbers I always look at A$$,Nut$ and Guts.And I always take a good look at legs and hooves. :)

Structure, phenotype, personal performance THAN EPD's.
EPD's are a TOOL - they are not perfect, and they are not the ONLY thing you should be looking at.
And EPD's should be used to enhance what your cows are needing. No one bull is best for everyone.

Limomike":2yqjrcxw said:
RMC.. that about sums it up.

I was at a Va. Charolais Association meeting a few years back. Everyone was planning for a sale. Had a guest speaker to help with the sale. At the end of his talk he looked over the bunch of us and said. We have great epd's and pretty papers. Then he said "What sells"? I said LOOKS. He said "you got it". The numbers are great but if the animal isn't pretty and eye catching the $$$$ won't be there. You gotta have the A,N&G's. :lol: with the numbers. :lol:

I agree Look At The Total Package Looks, Performance, Attitude And The Works

Decide What You Want In The Bull

calving ease with looks
bull with larger frame size
bull with smaller frame size
looks
performance
maternal traits
polled or horned
price range then stay in it could range is 2000-4000
bloodline
so on

Then use that and add to it with its EPDs, Looks, Price

check the number's but look good at the bull wathc him walk check his feet.numebrs and nut's ain't gonna do you no good if the rest don't hold together.

rattler