What to have on hand in your medicine cabinet?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm two years into my small herd of belties and so far, other than a young bull getting a little too excited about switching pastures and coming up lame for a couple weeks, I haven't had any health issues. I see in these threads about giving cattle this and that for various ailments and I'm wondering what I should have on hand to treat the unexpected?

Your vets phone number. If you have antibiotics or stuff on hand with any luck it will expire before you ever need it.

LA300, Penicillin, Resflor Gold, Sustain III Cattle & Calf boluses, Banamine, aspirin/aspirin powder, colostrum replacer, electrolytes, Betadine, thermometer, First Defense, Nursemate ASAP, mineral oil, Kopertox, Lutalyse, Vitamin B Complex, OB lube/sleeves, Vetericyn, Blue Kote, supply of disposable needles/syringes, Today & Tomorrow . . . . just to name a few :)

OB Lube, gloves, one bottle of CMPK, one bottle of Dextrose Solution, an IV set, Lutalyse, cystorelin and a piece of a bottle of Micotil that's probably 15 years old.

I will add Draxxin, pine tar, a milk fever test kit, bag balm, nitrofurazone, icthamol. I'm sure I'll think of more...

Edit to add sterile cotton, gauze rolls, vet wrap, gorilla tape (duct tape, but way stickier), calf coats and ear muffs (don't laugh, it gets d**n cold up here!), forceps, suture needles and suture, one use scalpels....

Also, gauze soaked in a pail of sugar and iodine is handy to keep around....works as a cheap and effective drawing agent (icthamol, but cheaper and can make quick).

In addition to what has already been listed, a tube feeder (calf), about a 4' to 5' length of garden hose (tube for a cow), an old glass coke bottle, large bottle Pepto Bismal or generic Pink Bismuth, Spectam Scour Halt (its a swine product but good for treating scours in calves), a set of hoof nippers, a hoof knife, a set of OB chains. Just to name a few.

Most likely you won't need these, but if you fool with cattle long enough, at some point some of these (what everyone has listed) items will come in handy!

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list - thanks! I'm fortunate that my vet is also one of my tax clients and lives just a mile down the road. Plus she has her own herd of around 300 simmentals so she is an excellent source of help/information.

I have a large ammo box with everything it stays in the Kubota
tail chalk , ob chains and handles, nippers, hoof knife, regular Knife , scalpel, hemostats , needles and syringes, gloves and lube , taggin pliers and tags, bander, rags, Iodine, pine tar, b-12 , banimine, dex, ivomec, paste wormer, jump start, noramectin that's all I can think of at the moment

Latest posts