What to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well, I am picking up the 3 cows in a few days. I am new to this stuff, OK. Now what to feed this winter, they are to calf this coming March. The local feed mill said to feed them steer feed, three lbs. twice a day + all the hay they want. Is that about right? Is there anything elce they should have. Thanks for the help!

Hey! Don't know where you're located, but that might make a difference in what type of "food" is available. We're in the Texas Panhandle. Raise Registered Texas Longhorns. Have bermuda pasture. Feed about 1/4 small bale of alfalfa hay daily per 1000# animal unit. Pregnant or nursing cows also get about two 3# coffee cans of 20 % or so beef ration (sweet feed) and one can of range cubes daily. Weaned calves growing get about the same. Have plenty of clean water and salt blocks available. Bill

[email protected]

It depends on the breed, age, protien of the hay and grain. The attached site has an excel spreadsheet called Cowculator, you plug in the variablkes and it will give you the information that you can use.

<A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cowculator/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cowculator/</A>

dunmovin farms

> Well, I am picking up the 3 cows
> in a few days. I am new to this
> stuff, OK. Now what to feed this
> winter, they are to calf this
> coming March. The local feed mill
> said to feed them steer feed,
> three lbs. twice a day + all the
> hay they want. Is that about
> right? Is there anything elce they
> should have. Thanks for the help!

There are so many variables involved in how to feed a cow. The quality of your hay is a big one. What's in the steer feed? Does it have minerals in it? Salt? Enough protein (again depends on your hay quality)? I suggest you ask your county extension office for help. They know your area and can probably assist you. You could also ask someone in your area who has cows (that look good) what they feed. Good luck!

[email protected]

I agree with Jena that your hay quality is the biggest variable. If it is good quality hay, they shouldn't need anything else. I live in MN and it gets pretty cold here, but my cows never get anything besides alfalfa/grass hay. Remember, feed stores are in the business of selling feed, and they always seem to recommend more than you really need. But if your hay quality isn't that good, I would think 6 lbs. of feed should be about right, again depending on what is in it.

Latest posts