What to feed pregnant cow that does not want to eat good

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 7 months pregnant highland cow that quit eating one day last week and the vet said she was a little gassy and gave her calcium and something for her stomach. She still does not want to eat good. She munches on a little bit of hay but not enough. I usually do not feed any grain but have been giving her a cup and a half of calf starter 3 times a day and am afraid to give her too much. he said she can have all the grass she wants but I'm afraid because he said it was probably some weird weed she ate even though she's been in that same pasture for years.
She is built like a Holstein big and skinny always, is there any feed or anything I can give her that she will put on weight and hopefully like and won't be too rich and not give her any stomach problems.
I did try some molasses on the calf pellets and she did not like that.
Thanks for reading

If she wont eat grass, there's a problem. being "gassy" doesn't sound like a good vet level diagnosis. are you using a large animal vet? I guess what I'm saying is you need to fix the problem not change the feed.

No she will eat grass I'm just afraid to let her have too much pasture because he said it's most likely some weed she ate period I've been going around picking her all the long grass and she eats all that I give her but there's only so much one person can pick.
And yes he's a large animal vet very experienced he's never led me wrong.
I'm sorry I don't know what the correct diagnosis was called I was too worried about her and her calf.

I'm sorry I just re-read my first post I had to put that in my original first post that I've been picking her long grass but it quit working and I had to restart my phone and I guess I didn't put everything in it.

vet gave her calcium sub q last saturday,blood levels showed low calcium.
can i give her some calcium paste maybe as she hasnt improved a lot.
she barely wants to eat hay and grain even,does like the fresh grass i pick her and moves like in slow motion.
i will call him back monday unless something worse happens for emergency.
was just wondering if paste would perhaps help or could hurt.

As I get older I realize my brain is slower and slower on the uptake so I realize what I'm about to say may be entirely my fault, but I have no idea what your talking about at this point. She eats pasture but you don't want her to because there's something in the pasture that your vet thinks "made her gassy" or something you don't remember. So she WILL eat, just not the hay you're giving her. If you pull grass from the field she shouldn't be eating out of, she will eat that. So go buy her some really soft green grass hay from someplace. 2nd, 3rd cutting hay that was done right.

In the meantime, when your vet gets back with you take some notes.

Thanks for being so nice .
For one ,English is not my first language,sorry for that .
For 2,this quits working constantly where letters won't go in .
No,I AM NOT PICKING GRASS FROM THAT SAME PASTURE TO GIVE HER.
It is from other fields and I only pick the longer grass and just grass,but it's killing my back.
I was afraid to give her 2nd or 3rd cutting or alfalfa ,thinking it's too rich .
Was thinking she might need more calcium since she is walking so slow.
My vet is very experienced ,I think it's just bc we can't pinpoint exactly what she ate that there isn't a definite diagnosis.
I would remember if gave me a definite diagnosis ,just don't know if gassy but not bloated and calcium deficient is a diagnosis.
Trust me,I ask a million questions,but like u ,also get a little foggy.
I'm just worried bc he thought she'd b back to normal in a few days and she's pregnant.
Oh and I gave her hay from 3 different sources,that she always liked bf ,and she will eat a few bites and is done.
I give her about 3 buckets of grass and she has a little pasture (different pasture also)
I will call him again and see what he says,just thought I'd ask on here,people r usually very helpful here,even when people ask stupid questions or can't explain very well

Latest posts