what to feed my cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am currently feeding a 12% protein mix that I buy from the feed store. would like to change to feeding some combination that I mix myself, but don't know what to mix or at what ratio. Can anyone suggest web sites, or other information to help. I am thinking it would be a combination of corn and something like oats or soybeans, or ?

I want to try to stay at about the same protein level, but it really is just some feed to help calm them and keep them used to me being around more than anything.

thanks,

roy

If your talking cows and thay have good pasture, your just bribing them, right?

They don't need 12% protien for a bribe, just something they like. A pound of corn or oats will be fine. Corn is about 10% protien and oats are around 11%. Range cubes, or cake is another option, it is usually fed as a protien boost when pastures get tall and dry off. One pound of cake would work as a bribe, usually 3-5 pounds are fed when protien is needed in the diet.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Corn with a few minerals mixed in plenty of pasture and adequate salt blocks plus plenty of clean fresh water.> If your talking cows and thay have
> good pasture, your just bribing
> them, right?

> They don't need 12% protien for a
> bribe, just something they like. A
> pound of corn or oats will be
> fine. Corn is about 10% protien
> and oats are around 11%. Range
> cubes, or cake is another option,
> it is usually fed as a protien
> boost when pastures get tall and
> dry off. One pound of cake would
> work as a bribe, usually 3-5