What to feed month-old calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
My father in law lost a cow that had a month old heifer calf on it. He gave the calf to us...I assumed I would put it on a calf replacer and grain. He thought the calf may be old enough to just eat grain and forget the replacer..that seems too young to me, but wanted to get other opinions. I'm also concerned about the calf taking a bottle at this point?

If it were me, and my nurse-cow wasn't available, I'd try to get it to take a bottle. It would certainly take quite a few tries to transition the calf from teat to bottle. I would also get it started on feed.

I had 2 calves that I acquired that were a month old when I got them. Both at the same time, straight off the cow (story for another time). #20 took to the bottle as if she'd been on it since birth, #31 well, lets just say it was a rodeo. What I did with them was I put them up in a small pen with a run-in shed. I'd close them up in the run-in then catch the little buggers and shove the bottle in their mouth. Like I said, #20 took to it right away, but #31 took about 4 days of trying before she would come to me for the bottle. The feed I put in a wall mounted feeder, and they eventually got curious enough and tried it and started eating it well along with hay.

It can be done. Good luck.

Katherine

If you can pen the calf in a chute, you can get it to take the bottle. Then put the bottle in a rack in tight quarters.

At a month old the calf may be just fine without a bottle. Likely to doggie on you tho.

I'ld try to get it to take a bottle, or at least drink milk replacer from a bucket. It will need grain. When you wean it, for bottle/bucket calves usually around 7-8 weeks, keep it on the grain. The inability to get much nutrition from just grass or hay is the main reason calves end up potty. The need the extra concentration of nutrition grain provides.

Another option is to give grain with dry milk replacer poured over it. I have done this on occasion, they wont turn out to be a show calf by any means but you can make a dollar or three on it. Keep out plenty of water and minerals also.

If the calf is eating calf feed, chances are it'll be ok without the milk replacer, especially at that age. I'd almost rather poke a sharp stick in my eye than try to get a calf that's been nursing that long on its mother to take a bottle.

I have been able to get a few calves interested in a gruel made of calf feed and milk replacer...you notice I said a FEW calvers. One time a calf that I'd given up on decided to take a bottle after it watched it's calf mates suck their bottles from racks. They were older calves and in the same large pen together. It was a monkey see monkey--do type of thing, I think.

My sympathies are with ya'...

Alice

Update on the calf: After days of fighting her with the bottle, she now will actively suck and drink. However, I still have to chase her down and have someone help hold her. I'm hoping that after a few more days of this she will settle down and willingly take the bottle. It's been a rough few days, but it looks like she's going to be alright!

mcdowedd":3aqky421 said:
Update on the calf: After days of fighting her with the bottle, she now will actively suck and drink. However, I still have to chase her down and have someone help hold her. I'm hoping that after a few more days of this she will settle down and willingly take the bottle. It's been a rough few days, but it looks like she's going to be alright!

I hope it all works out for you and the calf. You get a lot of satisfaction when you can save one and turn it into a good calf. You'll probably catch yourself smiling when you are looking at the calf over the next few day.

Cuz

Assuming you ahve her in a paddock or something by herself, at least at feeding time.

Put it in a bucket like Dun suggested, set it down and walk away. The calf will quickly learn theres food in the bucket and without you there shying her away she will readily go to it.