What to expect if you have to shoot a bovine

Help Support CattleToday:

We've had to put 2 cows down. One was granny cow, she was at least 18 yrs old. I couldn't do it either. My friend had to, he used my 38 special pistol. 1 shot in the "X" is all it took. She didn't even wiggle, just layed her head down. We all cried. :cry: The other one was shot with a rifle in the side of the head, just between the eye and ear. The went down like a rock, not even a kick.

I've hit too many between the eyes with small calibers (22 mag or 22 hornet) and they just looked at me. It's hot lead behind the ear for me. Instantly drop in their tracks, not even a kick. And they bleed out good too. Of course you'll have to wait for the shot. The animal in question is more likely to be looking at you than away from you.

I had to shoot a thousand pound steer once. It was one that had been out for over a month and the decision was to shoot him before we lost him in steep brushy country. I hit him right between the eyes at 80 yards with a 223. He spun around in a circle about five times and took off, hit a tree and went down. I showed the butcher the hole strait between the eyes, thinking that steer should have dropped instantly. He showed me how the sinus area is located and that my shoot even though it was strait on, actually went into the sinus area. That's why if you draw an X you will be well above the eyes.
Both butchers I know use a model 94-22 mag.

Rod