What to expect from Charbray calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Freeman

Reaction score
I recently put a Charolais bull on a few head of Brahman heifers. This will be the first time I've had Charbray calves and am curious about what others have experienced with the charbray breed as far as weaning weights, marketability, ect.. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of running the charolais/brahman cross. Thanks,

The offspring is great for this climate. Thick. Light colored tan to greys. Excellent milking dams. They wean their calves on their own.

One particular one in my bunch is huge. People ask if she is about to calve a month after she just calved. The only problem I am having with this one is her heifers are light milkers. Don't know why. She's had three and all had that trait. A shame. That problem doesn't seem to follow the other F-1s.

backhoeboogie":3h6rtvnh said:
The offspring is great for this climate. Thick. Light colored tan to greys. Excellent milking dams. They wean their calves on their own.

One particular one in my bunch is huge. People ask if she is about to calve a month after she just calved. The only problem I am having with this one is her heifers are light milkers. Don't know why. She's had three and all had that trait. A shame. That problem doesn't seem to follow the other F-1s.

Is she also a light milker. I have been kinda thinking a LOT of those "easy keeping " girls are that way cuz the "keep" too much for themselves. I posted a picture on here last year of a white shorthorn cow of my old partners and she looked that way. Problem is she weans one of the lightest calves every year and her dtrs do the same.

3waycross":cpz14y2u said:
backhoeboogie":cpz14y2u said:

Is she also a light milker. I have been kinda thinking a LOT of those "easy keeping " girls are that way cuz the "keep" too much for themselves. I posted a picture on here last year of a white shorthorn cow of my old partners and she looked that way. Problem is she weans one of the lightest calves every year and her dtrs do the same.

She's one of the heaviest milkers in the pasture and raises the heaviest calves. All the other cows (mostly brangus) seem to have nice replacements out of the same sire. This one cow's daughters are all light on the milk. Henceforth everything out of that cow is terminal. I hate it but really don't have any other choice.

Sounds like she is too heavy of a milker. All too often great milking mamas have poorly milking calves because the heifers grow too fat and it deposits where milk producing tissue should form. This might be your problem.