what to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

You Guys need to help me. I am 12 years old. I have been in love with horse since I was 9 but my family cannot afford a horse. What do I do? I know that "you should just wait" But i have been for 3 years. I have taken riding lessons but I stopped because my mom said i had to pay for them and it was too hard to earn that much money every week. I just have this craving for horses. And I always read these stories about these people and their horses and i have to cry. Please if anyone has any idea on what I can do to feed my craving please let me know. :(

I use to be the same way. Me being 15 And got a horse when I was 7 still wasn't soon enough. Try to still work or get allowance or whatever to save for riding lessons or lease a horse. Find a local farmer or breeder if you help around their ranch/farm they will prbably let you ride all you want. I'd help out but we live in Tennessee.

blondee9293":y9tdssij said:
You Guys need to help me. I am 12 years old. I have been in love with horse since I was 9 but my family cannot afford a horse. What do I do? I know that "you should just wait" But i have been for 3 years. I have taken riding lessons but I stopped because my mom said i had to pay for them and it was too hard to earn that much money every week. I just have this craving for horses. And I always read these stories about these people and their horses and i have to cry. Please if anyone has any idea on what I can do to feed my craving please let me know. :(
What about maybe talking to the people at the stable where U take riding lessons at and see if U can make some sort of deal to work for them in leiu of paying for lessons. It could be a great deal for them, U, and the horses. If you really love them, and are doing a good job, someone will come along and offer some help.
Best of luck to you. :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks for your help guys. But my mom wont let me lease a horse because it costs too much. And I did work something out with the people at my barn like three times but still i could not afford it. I only get ten dollars a week and I could not get a raise in my allowance because i have two other siblings that dont care for horses and they would think that was unfair. I have tried to call all the barns in the phonebook and everyone says that they dont exchange work for board or lessons. But thanks for the suggestions.

blondee9293":3v4v00vq said:
Thanks for your help guys. But my mom wont let me lease a horse because it costs too much. And I did work something out with the people at my barn like three times but still i could not afford it. I only get ten dollars a week and I could not get a raise in my allowance because i have two other siblings that dont care for horses and they would think that was unfair. I have tried to call all the barns in the phonebook and everyone says that they dont exchange work for board or lessons. But thanks for the suggestions.
This is a "Real Shame" on people in the industry.

How much do the lessons cost? I would start by talking to your trainer or the owner of the barn, cause they know you. Your foot will already be in the door. Look around the farm and see if there is anything that is not getting done, that you could help with. Suggest that you could help in these areas. Tell them how much you wish to continue with the lessons and that you're heart is in it and how much this means to you and ask them what they would do if they were in your shoes. You may get some helpful suggestions.
Look elsewhere. Babysitting can provide a fair income. See if there are some babysitting courses to take. If you can get some training, that will get you in the door better. Ask your Mom if there is anyway that you can do some extra chores or take on some responsibility for an allowance. Ask your neighbours too. Start the conversation by telling them how much you want to be able to continue these lessons and what your goal is, then ask them if there are any jobs that they would need done that you could work at. Especially older people, who need help with things that we take for granted every day. Walking their pets, cutting grass, washing windows.etc. If people know that your heart is in this, then they will try to help you or think of ways to help you. You just have to show your sincere. Leave them your name and number and ask them to call you if they think of anything and thank them for your time. Keep your eyes wide open and look for any opportunity to help out. Your age is slightly a detriment to this, but if you are determined and a hard worker you should get past this. Good luck!

Hi Sweetie:

My 11 year old daughter and I would like to tell our story in the hopes that you will be able to do the same thing.

We too don't have alot of money (certainly not enough to afford a horse). I grew up riding and my daughter has just started to ride. Well, very often we would ride our bikes past this little one horse farm. I happened to know that the guy that lived in the house used to have race horses. One day when we were riding past we went up to the door and asked if we could just look at his horse. The son in law of the man who lived there answered the door and said that we could go back to the barn as his father in law was back there just then. So we did. We found out that the guy was an old man (86 years old) and was having a bit of trouble lugging the water buckets around and the wheel barrow too. We offered to take care of the horse for him. We didn't ask immediately if we could ride her as we wanted to prove to him that we could do the job that we offered to do and that he could trust us to do just that. Well, that was over a month ago and we have been faithful to be there twice a day 7 days a week taking care of this horse. Well, Blondie, a couple of days ago the man offered to give us the horse (a 7 year old Thoroughbred mare) and he also offered to keep her at his house for free. Now...we are trying to figure out a way to pay for all of this. My daughter (who is 11) knows that there is no way that I can afford to do this on my own (and even if I could I wouldn't) because she knows that she has to take responsibility and earn the money to take care of this horse. She has asked several family members and friends if she could clean their houses for them or do any kind of small jobs to earn money. She also knows that every bit of extra money she gets will have to go toward this horse if it is going to work. I am willing to help out some, but not alot. We are very fortunate that this man will let us keep her at his house so that she will not be taken away from what she has known for 7 years and that he is able to order her shots and medicine and can administer this stuff himself. We have been very, very blessed and we have done much praying. I would suggest that you do the same. Things can happen even when you think it's impossible and I think our story says just that. Just keep on trying and don't give up. ;-)

Invest your time and money in every thing that is possible. My suggestion is start out small. Find someone in your area that will sell you something levelheaded, young, and cheap horse. I say young because they are cheaper that way. Find some old horsemen to baby you through it. Horses are cheap these days. My best advice is to keep all the money that you get in your alouance. I would wait two years. Help people with young horses, read, and most of all save. YOu will be suprised at how much money and knowledge you will have saved up in two years. $10X104weeks=1040!!! See, not as baad off as you thought ;-)

i bet "she" has a plan figured out by now and is working on it by now.

OK, my daughter wanted to earn some extra money.(she's 9) She saved up her allowance, went to Wal-Mart, and bought some cute fabric from the sale bin. She brought it home and made cute, soft stuffed pillows. She then went to people we knew and told why she wanted to earn money, and that she hade made the pillows all by herself. She asked for donations of $5 per pillow, but many people bought them and gave her 10 or even 20 dollars for them...if people see that you are willing to work, and to make something, they will be more willing to help you in your endeavor...make pillows, or bracelets, or anything else you can think of, and you will be pleasantly surprised at how many folks will help you.

Latest posts