What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
I bought a 2+ year old Cow from a guy we know. He wanted to take this cow and butcher her. The day the butcher was to come he came out and saw a calf behind her. So he kept the cow and calf and now the calf is 14mths old and still nursing. The pair excaped 2 months ago to a neighbors hurd so there is a possiblility that they are both bred. The calf is every bit 1400lbs with rolls over her rolls. I need to wean her but eventually they will end up in the same herd again. I have been told that the older calf will not let the new calf nurse even if it has been 6 months since she was weaned. They are both nice cows but it isn't worth loosing next years baby because the one won't stop nursing.

Excuse me, but did you say the calf is 14 months old, still nursing, and weighs 1400 lbs? Anyway, after being weaned for six months, the older calf won't care if YOU are nursing the cow. This just represents my opinion. Anxious to hear others.

You're going to have to separate the cow and the oldest calf.. the sooner the better! With the 14 month old calf having nursed the cow for so long, you'll have a heck of a time getting her to quit. Even if you don't put her back with her dam, she may end up nursing a different cow.

I've found by experience that if they are hard weaners, the best thing to do is to ship them, unless you've got somewhere she'll be with other heifers and no cows that are nursing.

if its been 14 mo. and the cow is just now breeding ,i would ship her and the heifer.dont keep a slow breeder...

if she has 1400lbs sucking on her she might not be in condition to breed back.

Texan":uz8106a6 said:
Excuse me, but did you say the calf is 14 months old, still nursing, and weighs 1400 lbs? Anyway, after being weaned for six months, the older calf won't care if YOU are nursing the cow. This just represents my opinion. Anxious to hear others.

Yea he said it must think that there pets.That egg sucker that didn't wean would have grown wheels a long time ago.

Double R Ranch":3mxfd2ib said:
I bought a 2+ year old Cow from a guy we know. He wanted to take this cow and butcher her. The day the butcher was to come he came out and saw a calf behind her. So he kept the cow and calf and now the calf is 14mths old and still nursing. The pair excaped 2 months ago to a neighbors hurd so there is a possiblility that they are both bred. The calf is every bit 1400lbs with rolls over her rolls. I need to wean her but eventually they will end up in the same herd again. I have been told that the older calf will not let the new calf nurse even if it has been 6 months since she was weaned. They are both nice cows but it isn't worth loosing next years baby because the one won't stop nursing.

Excuse me! A 1400 lb COW nursing another COW. Separate ASAP. Have a free-loading 30 year old teenager with no job and still on mama's teat... And/or have a 2 YO COW that is a touch mentally retarded or is in a terminal state of learned helplessness....

Personally I'd take both to sale barn (separate lots, pens of course)...

If it has "rolls over rolls" some local killer will buy it. That's where it should go.

Yes, she is 1400lbs at 14 months old. The guy who had them never weaned them. He was going to butcher the mom but then she ended up calving, on butcher day might I add. She had a prier jaunt into a neighbors herd.( He thought that she was just getting fat because of his feeding for butcher)
The 2 are seperated now that they are here. The mom seems relieved.
The 2 are not slow breeders that we are aware of. They just didn't have access to a bull. The guy had no intention of having all this happen. He just wanted meat in the freezer.
Please keep it coming!

Latest posts