What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":eg5c8p9p said:
Brute 23":eg5c8p9p said:
I have alot of guns that I don't know the history on... got realy good deals on them too. :D

So what you are saying is you give drug addicts a market for stolen items?? :mad:

You know, if they couldn't sell those things they wouldn't take them.

What? You've never bought a gun at an auction? Had one handed down to you? I dont know the history of most of my guns. I do know that I've never gave a drug dealer a market for stolen items... being kinda dramatic arent we?
:roll:

UPDATE on 30-06.
Called a deputy friend and he ran the numbers on the rifle and sure enough it was reported stolen.
To make a long story short this gentelman's son took his rifle and decieded to do some hunting.The rifle was a last years Christmas present from his wife. He came over to the house to talk to me. After describing the car he told me it was his son who is just 17. Very nice gentelman and offered to pay for any damages. which there was no damage done. Man asked me if there was any work this boy could do on the place, and after a little thought remembered come spring we,re building a new working pen.So looks like i've got some free labor come spring.
Man said meanwhile life aint going to be as comfortable for the boy at home for a while. Glad I decieded on doing the right thing now.

Cal

Glad you found the rightful owner. However, I don't think I would knowingly let a liar much less a thief on my place. The free labor you speak of might not be so free when its all said and done. Of course, his dad does have till spring to whip him into shape. Good luck.

Jogeephus":11i2ivqp said:
Glad you found the rightful owner. However, I don't think I would knowingly let a liar much less a thief on my place. The free labor you speak of might not be so free when its all said and done. Of course, his dad does have till spring to whip him into shape. Good luck.

The operative word being "whip"!

Cal glad it turned out good for you.You did the right thing IMO.Watch that young man tho could clam a injury or something i think i would content with letting his Dad whip his butt into shape.

rattler

No such thing as free help there. I may be a cynic, I don't think so, but this boy stole from his father. He may steal from you. I appreciate like crazy the thought though.

Cal, If you had kept it, you may have had a very bad situation in the future. Son could have denied taking it etc. Of course, Dad would have never known.

As is, son won't come back poaching because you know the vehicle and source location etc.

We can all be proud of you and happy about the outcome. You are a very credible individual. :D

You did the right thing. I'm sure the owner was happy to get his rifle back as it was a gift from his wife. I would pass on that boy working on my place. I know kids need to be given a chance but his track record don't sound to good.

I would have kept the Gun.

If he had the nerve to come to you and explain why he was trespassing on your property, and could I.D. the Gun, give it back to him, with the condition made he wont ever be seen near or on your place again.

backhoeboogie":1cpr61jh said:
Cal, If you had kept it, you may have had a very bad situation in the future. Son could have denied taking it etc. Of course, Dad would have never known.

As is, son won't come back poaching because you know the vehicle and source location etc.

We can all be proud of you and happy about the outcome. You are a very credible individual. :D

Thanks BHB. The whole story was when my deputy friend ran the numbers he knew the man that owned the rifle.I don't know the man personally but have had a few conversations with him and he's just a hard working man trying to squeeze a living out of farming. The deputy went and got the boy and brought him to my house and he had to admit to stealing the gun and hunting on my properity. When he admitid to the fact my buddy handcuffed him and took him and gun to see his father. My buddy and also the father was both shocked that the boy would do this. Boy has always been a good kid and never before in trouble. I didn't go to the home but buddy said that he made the boy admit to his father and mother that he stold the gun and what he done with it. the boy's father was not happy and let the boy know about it. He had just bought him a car and told him he won't be driving it until he works out with his father every dime he paid on it.
Anyhow I feel good about the way it turned out. And with the kids previous track record I really don't think he'll pull a stunt like that again. I really don't think I will work him come spring, I don't think he'll need any more correction by then.
Sorta feel guilty now that my first thoughts were to keep it.

Cal

You did the right thing. There would be no sense in punishing the father for what the boy did, especially since he sounds like a good man. I'm glad it turned out OK.

Ah ~ yes. As a mother, a high school teacher for 14 years and now a corrections officer ~ I have seen again and again good kids do dumb things.

Glad to hear it ended like it did. You probably help get a young man get back on the right path. My kids have always told me that they stayed out of trouble because they just knew I'd find out. It's best if we find out at a young age that every thing we do has a consequence.

Grippie":37qub0ev said:
What? You've never bought a gun at an auction? Had one handed down to you? I dont know the history of most of my guns. I do know that I've never gave a drug dealer a market for stolen items... being kinda dramatic arent we?

Yes I have guns handed down. Yes I have bought them second hand. Yes EVERY single gun I own has had it S/N run and none are stolen. If they were, I'd personally try to get them to there rightful location.

I will not buy anything that's hot. Period. If I did, I am just as guilty as the thief and certainly a big part of the problem. If stolen items cannot be sold, dope heads will quit taking them. They certainly have no intentions of using the tools they steal.

Aint no way I'd ever get on a public forum and say, "I dont know the history of most of my guns." You may own one stolen from good folks right here on this forum. If you don't know the source, you are just a big of a problem as the thief themselves.

backhoeboogie":1zx9gty4 said:
Grippie":1zx9gty4 said:

Yes I have guns handed down. Yes I have bought them second hand. Yes EVERY single gun I own has had it S/N run and none are stolen. If they were, I'd personally try to get them to there rightful location.

I will not buy anything that's hot. Period. If I did, I am just as guilty as the thief and certainly a big part of the problem. If stolen items cannot be sold, dope heads will quit taking them. They certainly have no intentions of using the tools they steal.

Aint no way I'd ever get on a public forum and say, "I dont know the history of most of my guns." You may own one stolen from good folks right here on this forum. If you don't know the source, you are just a big of a problem as the thief themselves.

Never said I'd buy anything hot either. You really are a drama queen arent you? Ok.. I'll say it again. I have a lot of guns that I dont know the history of... As an example, I have one that my Uncle gave me 20 years ago before he passed away. I have no idea where he bought it/got it from and I really dont see the need to "run the numbers" on it. I have several given to me from my parents that are the same way. If I knew any of mine were stolen, I'd "personally" (who else would do it? :roll: ) give them back as well. You seem to think that not buying from druggies and returning stolen things is some sort of act of valor that you need to spout to everyone else. Maybe it is to you but to most people it's common sense.

ever buy a cow at an auction? How do you know that she wasn't stolen and dropped off at the auction barn by a thief? You dont do you? Shame on you!
I had a chainsaw stolen out of the back of my truck a month ago. I hope everyone who buys a chainsaw at a garage sale or at an auction from now thru the rest of their lives "runs the numbers" cause Lord knows if they don't, they are supporting drug dealers... what a bunch of...

grippie, I am just stating the facts. No spouting off involved. No "drama" either. There are many law abiding folks out there who don't want to own stolen goods.

edit: You may want to look back through these threads on the subject of stolen goods. There are many much more emotionally involved in this subject than I am. You might want to read back through this thread.

The news constantly has eBay selling stolen goods these days. eBay has changed their policies because of it. There are some things I will not buy on eBay just because of my feelings and belief.

It is starting to sound like you do have a conscience afterall. Good for you.

Grippie":2yv8veoq said:
ever buy a cow at an auction? How do you know that she wasn't stolen and dropped off at the auction barn by a thief? You dont do you? Shame on you!

Cows dropped are identified and traceable to who dropped them. There are some serious laws governing the whole process, state and federal. Look into it. Big Brother is watching - very close.

Cal, I apologize for the hi-jack. You did the right thing. Again, your credibility is something for you to take pride in. You are a good person.

BHB thers no reason to apoligize. But apoligy exepted.
I like it when a thread leads to other subjects. Makes for some interesting reading.

Cal

Latest posts