What to do

Help Support CattleToday:

kyandy

Reaction score
Hey guys very new to this just bought my first cow/calfs. Bought them from a local farm paid a little too much but was afraid of the salebarn at this point so it worked for me.. Hoping to build a good commercial herd in the near future but had to get my feet wet sometime so i started small.I have a couple questions 1) How is the best way to tell the ages of the calves I know one of them was born on christmas eve so he is easy but the other 2 look to be about 3 or 4 months old any rule of thumb??? 2) what type vaccinations should I be giving have one calf that will make the slightest cough every now and then no other symptoms easts well drinks good and is still getting plenty from momma the others seem to be ok just want to be on the safe side.. The cows are aged cows some more than others i have the newborn and the 2 calves and then the three mommas which are bred back...Feed and vaccination input would help ease my mind a lot.. Our local vet is not much on cattle more horses and small animals.. Sorry so long and help would be greatly appreciated... thanks....

I will try to post some pics in the next day or two but they are about twice the size maybe??? Not sure I will just have to show you guys cause i am sure you know more about it than I do...They are filled out pretty good and don't nurse the momma near as much as the baby but i know that is normal.. One of them keeps getting out but won't go far from momma.. I will post pics soon.. thanks for the help I know i am not feeding the calves enough but didn't know which way to go... this will be a start

Just another perspective on it all.... I try to keep my expenses down.. and I do not vaccinated until my calves are 6 months old. Then I do the 7-way vaccination. As far as feed.. I keep the liquid feed out always for the mommas, and feed the 14% creep in my creep feeder for the calves. I do NOT keep it full all the time, just mainly during the coldest parts of the winter (like now). And give them plenty of hay, if you have it available.

Well, I guess I have a different look at things.
First, 3-ton creep feeder for 3 head :shock: I think not needed.
Second, unless the cow is in poor condition & too old to milk well, calves should NOT NEED grain. They will eat hay right along side of their moms.
3rd, if the cows are bred back (are you sure?), the calves were probably at least 2-3 months old at the time the cows were bred.
If you would like to creep feed (that means provide grain to calves & not the cows), you can simply put up a board or electric wire that the calves can slip under & the cows cannot, and put out grain in the "creep" area. If you put some straw down in the creep area, the calves will definately go there & they are curious, so they will find the grain.
You are small, keep it simple & CHEAP!!
Most vaccinations will recommend that the calves are at least 3 months of age. Otherwise, the antibodies that the calves already have from the colostrom (that's the cows first & most important milk) will conflict with the vaccines.
Also, not knowing what the cows have received, you can ONLY use KILLED vaccines. There are Killed & Modified Live Vaccines. MLV cannot be given to pregnant cows or calves nursing pregnant cows.
I strongly recommend you get on a MLV vaccine program next year. That will mean vaccinating your cows after calving & before breeding with MLV, than it will be safe to use MLV on the nursing calves.
Research is saying that Killed vaccines only last a few months where as the MLV "may" last a lifetime, although they recommend yearly boosters.
Also, check the labels of all vaccines for BOOSTERS. A killed vaccine is like pouring it on the ground, if it is not boostered in the 2-4 week (as recommended) time span, and should be repeated twice a year.
There are soooo many vaccine products, you really should check with your local Cooperative Extension office or a local vet for their local recommendations.

Latest posts