What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you get a degree, you'll never regret it.

Your kids teachers, one day, will look at you different. Bankers will look at you different. Employers will look at you different. Your kids will look at you differently. I could go on and on.

That degree may or may not help you in your endeavors, but it will make you highly marketable. You'll earn more money. You'll qualify for more money.

If you go to night school and work, it will take forever.

I could go on and on but there is no need in boirng you to tears.

backhoeboogie":1swjongw said:
If you get a degree, you'll never regret it.

Your kids teachers, one day, will look at you different. Bankers will look at you different. Employers will look at you different. Your kids will look at you differently. I could go on and on.

That degree may or may not help you in your endeavors, but it will make you highly marketable. You'll earn more money. You'll qualify for more money.

If you go to night school and work, it will take forever.

I could go on and on but there is no need in boirng you to tears

Couldn't have said it better myself. Get it.

Get your four year degree, stay for your masters degree and then get you doctorate in whatever you want to then you can sign your name as DR. now, wouldn't that be cool??

From someone that didn;t get much of a formal education, get the education. You can accomplish as much without one, but it's a lot harder and takes a lot longer.

dun

go to college, get a usuable degree. minor in animal science with emphasis in beef production. be a doctor or lawyer or such and be a hobby rancher on the side. any more problems you'd like solved?

Go to school if you can. Not just for the ag education, either. Learn all you can about the world, travel if you can. Learn how people in other parts of the world live and farm.

Do these things while you are young. You can always work later. Or better yet do as someone else mentioned and work summers or part time. "Intern" - that is a fancy term for working hard for not much money, BUT getting lots of learnin'.

Why not go to school for something Ag (cattle) related. Like embryo transfer, AI, nutrition...ect.

Then while in school you can be around cattle and get a good education in the mean time.

~Britani~ 8)

I'm going to be a junior in high school this year and i'm planning on doing the same thing. I plan to go to college get an ag degree of some sort and go into some type of cattle business. Everyone has always told me shoot for your dreams but have something to fall back on. Thats why in my opinion you have to have a good education

I would agree that you should go to college if you have the opportunity. You will learn about your options there. Also, your business will start better and you will be more independant sooner and make less expensive mistakes if you study your business before jumping into it. You will be a better and more effective businessman with college training.
There are many fine businessmen who did not go to college, but there really is a monetary return for being educated.

Like most everybody else said, GO TO COLLEGE (or even University). This is coming from someone who went straight to university from high school and is currently majoring in Animal Science (2nd year) and plans on specializing in beef (and horses) as well after the four years of undergrad are done.

Your best bet is to keep up with your schooling and you'll have a waay better future ahead of you and a heck of a lot more job apportunities than you can ever realize. You'll learn more too, and will be better prepared for a job in ranching business, or even veterinary practice. There's a huge need for good vets (especially those specializing in large animals) around everywhere.

Good luck to you!! :D

IluvABbeef":1mtqhd6b said:
Like most everybody else said, GO TO COLLEGE (or even University). This is coming from someone who went straight to university from high school

I agree...go to cellege, and since you already have a college gal telling you to go to college...well this is coming from an old man who never even finished high school...stay in school...go to college :)

Man, ain't it easier to make these kind of decisions when you are over 50... :D

Go to school, do not pass go, and don't worry about the $200.

Take it from someone without a degree...those in these posts are right on target. It is not about your intelligence, people will just look at you in a different light with the degree.

However, it is never too late for those who wish to learn. After being seriously injured in a plane crash, I went to college at 42...on crutches! Carried a 4.0 GPA, was President of the honor society, AND, I had more fun than I ever had in my life...I wish I could win the lottery, I would be a full-time student.

Good luck with your education...it is not easy, but what in life worth having is? :?:

Van

vbd":25o301a3 said:
Man, ain't it easier to make these kind of decisions when you are over 50... :D

Go to school, do not pass go, and don't worry about the $200.

Take it from someone without a degree...those in these posts are right on target. It is not about your intelligence, people will just look at you in a different light with the degree.

However, it is never too late for those who wish to learn. After being seriously injured in a plane crash, I went to college at 42...on crutches! Carried a 4.0 GPA, was President of the honor society, AND, I had more fun than I ever had in my life...I wish I could win the lottery, I would be a full-time student.

Good luck with your education...it is not easy, but what in life worth having is? :?:

Van

maybe I should go to college at age 62 :D

I'm a little late but couldn't leave out of this post because it's so very important.

Go to college! It's your best bet! All of the reasons have been taken so I figure I'll just second all those in favor of you going to college.

Jay

Follow the advice you're getting here. Find any means necessary to go to school full time, treat it as your first job. Did the night school thing while in the military and it took forever! You'll find that most folks, once they have the paper in hand, wind up doing something that may be completely different than what they went to school for. That piece of paper demonstrates to potential employers that you have some level of responsibility and you have the ability to learn. Not that an individual who did not seek higher education can't learn, but it gives you the edge when going for a job. Many high paying jobs can't be had without it and it's only going to get tougher in years to come. If you can't do the 4 year route, try a trade school. Could ramble on forever... stay in school, you'll thank yourself later in life.