What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

BC Acres

Reaction score
I'm thinking my bull tried to mount a way to young heifer today. She has Blood coming out of her female parts and is walking really slow. She can get around but walks like she has a corn cob up her back side. She was born April 7th so is only 4 1/2 months old. Tried to call the vet, but he's closed. What should I do? Watch her for awhile and see how she does and lute her when I wean in a little over a month, or does this require vet attention?

She's a little young to wean but is there any way you can separate the bull, move him to another pasture? Or even separate the calf & her mama. We pull the bulls a minimum of a month (generally 6 weeks) prior to weaning and every heifer gets a shot of Lute. The corn cob walk is not uncommon but my main concern with a calf that young is damage to her spine. We learned the hard way 7 years ago and lost a beautiful heifer. She's probably fine but I'd keep an eye on her, make sure she's with the herd, nursing, walking okay, etc.

She is walking very gingerly, but she has moved far enough that I don't think she has a major spine injury. Momma was bawling for her and she came over and is nursing. I don't usually wean until October 1 and keep them separated for 30 days before selling.

Sounds like the bull tried/bred her. She's walking like that for a couple of (possible) reasons. Both involve being bred, having the weight of the bull on top of her and the bull actually "breeding" her.

If you can separate from the bull, as TC suggested, that would be best, as you don't want him to try that again, and do damage to her.

At weaning, I would definitely lute your heifers.

This morning she seems to be doing a little better. Walking better anyways. She still has asome bloody mucus type stuff coming out of her girly parts. The bull seems to be chasing a cow around the pasture right now. Hopefully he's done with the heifer. I hope he leaves my other one alone. Definitely going to give some lute around the beginning of October to the heifers.

BC Acres":1s3aggqd said:
This morning she seems to be doing a little better. Walking better anyways. She still has asome bloody mucus type stuff coming out of her girly parts. The bull seems to be chasing a cow around the pasture right now. Hopefully he's done with the heifer. I hope he leaves my other one alone. Definitely going to give some lute around the beginning of October to the heifers.
she should be fine..it happens a lot...

Latest posts