What to do with young bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I have a very small herd of registered Black Angus. I just finished weaning two bull calves and need some advice on what I should do with them. Both of them are very nice calves.
I plan to use AI on my cows after they have delivered their calves in the spring.

Should I keep the bulls until a year old or so and then sell them?
I also considered making them steers and selling them around 800 lbs or so, but seems like a waste of a good registered bull.
Any ideas? Thanks for your time. Bob

http://cattletoday.com/photos/uploads/1 ... buffet.jpg

That would depend on how good the calves are. Are they of the quality that you would use them in your own herd or that you think that someone could use them to improve their herd? If so, I'd say keep them intact, if not cut them and sell em. Give us some weights and some pics and we will give you our opinions.

This is how I think of it: The questions is not "can I sell them". The question to be answered is, "can I sell them and feel confident that I've helped someone improve their herd". Who knows, I may be going about it all wrong.

bobrammer":38eqxze8 said:
I have a very small herd of registered Black Angus. I just finished weaning two bull calves and need some advice on what I should do with them. Both of them are very nice calves.
I plan to use AI on my cows after they have delivered their calves in the spring.

I also considered making them steers and selling them around 800 lbs or so, but seems like a waste of a good registered bull.

Send them off to a bull test station. There are several in Texas. The big one is the Beef Development Center of Texas in Navasota but there are others around the state. Some colleges have them and some regional assns have tests and sales. Here's a link to the Texas Angus Assn. You can find the regional assns there. Good luck....

http://texasangus.com/

bobrammer":3uuyxg60 said:

Bob

Very - very few registered animals are worthy of being sold as breeders. Time to find out from folks that know - ask your local association what they think.

Otherwise, they are just meat - papers seldom make a breeder.

Post some pics. We always like to "have at". :lol:

Best regards,

Bez!

bobrammer":35m62jex said:
What age do you have bulls tested?

It depends on the test station. Ours tests bulls in 60 day contemporary groups. We deliver them at 8-9 months old and they'll be about a year old when we pick them up. Some stations test "jr bulls" and "sr bulls" so their ages will vary.

you will put them on a warm up for about 50-70 days. then put them on full feed for 112 days. you don't have to sell them to registered breeders. if they grow good, scan good and have good pedigrees sell them to a commercial cowman. if you provide all info associated with registered animals you should get some lookers

Latest posts