What to do with too many hot peppers

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
Since I contribute very little to the gardening efforts around here, I don't try to decide what gets planted. But geesh, we've had hot peppers coming out of our ears this summer. That's winding down now, but I finally figured out a good use for them.

100_5120.jpg

I like to let them get red and ripe. We have jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, bells, and some anaheim type. The tomatoes are for flavor and to mellow the heat.

100_5122.jpg

Here's how they look after roasting at 400 degrees. I rotate the pan and flip the peppers a few times until they start to brown but not get too black.

100_5123.jpg

I let them cool a little and then remove the stems and peel anything that's easy. Same with the seeds. The little ones don't get peeled or seeded, they just go in as is. Add some salt, garlic, cilantro and lemon. I would have roasted some onion too but we didn't have any. Stick blender is a handy tool in the kitchen.

100_5124.jpg

Each batch makes two jars, hot as fire! It's more of a chile sauce than a salsa, but the more tomato you add the milder it becomes. Keeps well in the fridge too.

That sure looks good. Nothing like a hearty salsa with a kick to it. Could you can the remaining peppers? (mason jars etc)

Gosh, I can think of a million uses for that. I hope you keep it under lock and key else .... well ... I don't know where you live but if I did I'd be tempted ;-)

Do you ever string them up and dry them?

Jo, I could think of a million uses for it too, especially after seeing the feast you posted in another thread. My lord, that looked amazing and homemade pickles too! I would gladly contribute the chile sauce for a plate of that goodness. We have never strung them up, but they dry just fine in the bowl on the counter. I will probably put them in ziplocs for later. I bet they can be toasted, soaked and then blended with broth for enchilada sauce or to add to chile beans, stews and such. As I learn to do more with them, I'm appreciating them a lot more.

You and Jo need to get together. I can only imagine all the concoctions you all could come up with. Better get Slick and Hook involved too . :D 3way can provide some of the tasy libations .. :nod:

Those roasted peppers look great 2/B ..

2/B, another thing you might want to try making is hot sauce. I had plans on making some this summer but I made a slight mistake in the pepper garden and ....... well lets just say peppers will not grow there this year .... nor anything else much. :oops: :bang: :bang: Anyhow, I have a few recipes on how to make it if you are interested. It looks really easy.

Incidently, I went to college with a guy who got out of school and lost his shirt farming. He was scratching his head and came up with the idea of making hot sauce. It had been his hobby in the past. Anyhow, with his marketing knowledge and his poor farming skills he went at it and had a stroke of luck. About ten years ago a friend of mine had dropped by to see him and his operation and he had a huge wharehouse with sixty employees making hot sauce. Who'd have thought it?

I like to go to the craft stores, buy some cool looking bottles, and make a hot sauce. Its easy.. Just pull the ribs and seeds out. Fill the bottle 1/3 full of peppers, add red wine vinegar and a cork.maybe add some whole peppercorns and some coriander seeds. I like using the small red, green and yellow cayennes. But they all work. Put a piece of ribbon on the neck and give them as gifts. Tastes great, and makes good looking homemade gifts.

Sounds great, hooknline. Jo, any hot sauce recipes are welcome. Haven't found a good use for the cayennes yet, they're so hot. Real cool about your friend. I love to hear stories about when people's ventures turn out successful.

2B - I like the sound of this method, before I try it can you tell me if roasting the peppers makes a big difference in taste rather than just using them fresh and blending - I would suppose it would have something to do with caramalising?

Here's a few for the cayennes.

Achiote Sauce
6 fresh cayenne peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp black cumin
1 clove garlic minced
1.5 Tbs ground achiote
1/2 tsp salt

Blanch cayenne peppers and roast bells. Add peppers, garlic, vinegar and spices to food processor and and blend until smooth and pourabale. Make sure anchiote is proplerly blended. Adjust liquidity by adding extra vinegar if neccessary. Pour into bottles and keep in fridge a week before using.

Cayenne Pepper Red Sauce

9 fresh cayenne peppers
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Blanch peppers add them to other ingredients and blend in blender. Bottle and store in fridge.

Cajun Sauce

6 cayenne
4 cloves minced garlic
1 medium tomato
1 Tbs sugar
3 tsp ground cayenne
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp black cumin
1 tsp jamaican alspice
1/2 tsp salt

blanch peppers. mix everything together and blend then bottle and wait a week

Okay, Jo I've been wanting to make these. Tonight I made the achiote sauce and I'll get the husband's report when he has his eggs tomorrow morning. It's good! I have to get more vinegar, but a straight cayenne sauce is next. Now I don't have to worry about what to do with so many peppers. These are easy to make and great to give away.

eta: "waiting a week" isn't going to happen...

They would be a great gift. Hint. :lol2: Seriously, the fella I was talking about used the gift idea for his marketing strategy and it worked well.

Glad you liked them. I have some more but they are all on paper so its hard to put them on the computer. I'll browse some and see if any just stand out that you might also like to try.