What to do with this colt?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":2yn1z8cw said:
sorry 3way, not the way it is here ... I'd add the shrugging shoulders smiley but I cant find him ... must be on a different forum

Shrug this Keren. If it's a breed then explain the origins so the YANKS have some point of reference. Otherwise to us it's just a black and white "something"

JUst what exactly SHOULD it look like. Why not post a pictue of a GOOD one. Cuz all I see is a DINK I don't care what you call it. I can't believe you have generated a 5 page thread on what to do with him. I wouldn't cut him I would send him to work for Alpo.

Sorry Keren I musta missed the present.

BTW Alpo is a dog food company.

I'd still like to see what a good one looks like.

Pinto has it's own classification here. Same as paint horses and appaloosas for example. A breed based on a colour if you will... And if you have an actual breed like an Australian Stock Horse that is an Appaloosa then they can be registered as both. I think that's how it works....
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/pinto/

So I suppose it's a bit of a mongrel really :p

Feed him, cut him and have fun. We had a conversation Keren about feeding issues and unless you're going to take the reins on the feeding I don't think any potential progeny will have much success. You know what I'm getting at...

My Daddy usta say "You can't starve a profit out of anything". Still holds true.

Keren

Purina makes a really really good feed they used to call complete advantage..now its Omolene 400. it is a "complete" feed..my older TB gelding did exceptionaly well on it and he was prone to weight issues..it has beet pulp in it..when I could no longer get CA, I started giving him beet pulp and it still helped him. made him alittle goey, but was running barrels at the time and I didnt care about abit of steam in the old man.

My stallion was on rice bran to maintain his weight when hes in heavy training, along with Safechoice, by nutrena.It works well, but again, can make the horse abit "hot"..if your horse has been running fencelines, chances are he's burning off much needed weight. gelding him will definantly make him quieter and help him keep the weight on...

He does look alittle strange to me in the photo..Im not being mean when I say that! :D ..simply saying he surely does look underfed and small...doesnt mean you cant turn him around...

Sarah

I wasn't being a smart a$$. Sorry you took it that way. Would still like to see a few good pic of him.Maybe we could tell more about him.Then again we might ort to leave it alone.

I apologize. I mentioned breeding because you did and sort of followed the flow. I did a bit of research and found the following article.

http://www.kentuckyhorse.org/en/art/75/

If you really do want to breed your mares, it can be done. Many years ago, I used to breed and show donkeys and mules. My jack was a standard (44") and we bred him to mares.
We had a breeding area with a hole for the mare's back feet. She stood in the hole and he was able to get the job done. We raised some very pretty mules that did well in the show pen.

Good luck with him. We have a Pinto registry in the US too. www.pinto.org Our son's mini is a Pinto too.

Back to the feeding question about this colt...I would feed him the grain for mares and weanlings. It's got the extra calories he needs to help put weight on. You could also give him a feed that is formulated for senior horses. They are usually complete feeds that will really help put weight on without getting him too hot. Adding about a cup of corn oil to each feeding is another trick. It will make his coat shiney too.

Gelding him will help him not think of the mares so much too even though he's separated from them. Working with him in a round pen will help him not only build respect but build his muscles by working them.

He does appear to have some pony breed in him judging by his bushy mane but since I'm not familiar with the horses you have over there I can't really say. He's got pretty markings though!

i got one that was stunted and starved out of a back yard a few years back... i posted a picture that has expired,,, ill try to get a picture of him now he has turned out pretty good ,, took awhile too catch up may not be too his full potential but good enough