What to do with poachers ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Here are some pics from one of my trail cams.
These three young boys are poaching and they don't seem to worried about that from what we can see in the pictures.
They will not kill anything big with those 22lr, they are after axis does for meat. They don't destroyed anything, they must be from a near town 40 kilometres away from the farm. It seems they decided to escape from school and camp for a couple of days (I have pictures of them two consecutive days, monday and tuesday).

Honestly I don't know what to do, to laugh or to hunt them down... :frowns:

In some way I envy them, they make me remember those days when I was a kid roaming around the woods and everything was a great adventure....

For them is great fun to be pictured by the cam :roll:

CopiadeIMG_0889.jpg

CopiadeIMG_0891.jpg

L

To me, the fact that they didn't steal your camera makes me think their not bad kids.
I spent a lot of my youth walking the neighborhood with a 22. I know, times have changed.

My same thoughts...
Also the fact that they allowed the cam to take pics from them shows that they don't have nothing to hide.
For them all this is just exciting fun.

Best to have them chasing deers in the woods than taking drugs in the streets...

L

Lorenzo":1zj118m9 said:
My same thoughts...
Also the fact that they allow the cam to take pics from them shows that they don't have nothing to hide.

Best to have them chasing deers in the woods than taking drugs in the streets...

L

I agree.

Hunt them down - give them a couple of candies - give them a little advice about life - tell them if they do no damage they can stay - but they must never bring out their friends - might turn out to be a smart move

Bez+

mnmtranching":20gtscdo said:
To me, the fact that they didn't steal your camera makes me think their not bad kids.
I spent a lot of my youth walking the neighborhood with a 22. I know, times have changed.

My thoughts exactly. Of course I'd have to hunt them down at dusk and scare the begeesus out of them. Then get to know them and let them get to know you and discuss a few ground rules. I'd also suggest to the rifle carrier that if he likes his friends he might be more careful which direction he points his rifle. They could be an asset to you.

Lorenzo":o6hr2unh said:
My same thoughts...
Also the fact that they allow the cam to take pics from them shows that they don't have nothing to hide.

L

i agree.
if kids had more opportunities to work and make a little money and to gain a sense of accomplishment from their labor, to hunt and fish and to explore nature, maybe they wouldn't need the excitement of drugs or the money from crime.

well so far they are better than the ones I had this yr, one that I told last yr not to come back came in and killed a 26lb tom with a 10" beard and 1 1/4" spurs well he is now facing about $700 in fines and then the next day we got one that had been bragging how many birds he had killed 6 in 3 days and he also stole a $400 game camera he was a senior in High School and he got kicked off of the baseball team lost 2 local scholarships to college and is facing $2500 in fines and a minnimum of 6 months probation
I knew this last one had snuck on last yr and killed 1 bird if that was all he had done this yr I wouldn't have been too ticked off but he got greedy and I also can't tolerate a thief

I think Brute and Angus C have good posts. What may be harmless and fun now can turn into arrogance later. If possible I would try to catch them and put some pressure (also called fear) on them. Then after talking to them give them permission to hunt but to always check with you first.
Don't let them take your good nature for granted.

Ryder":igfcrtes said:
I think Brute and Angus C have good posts. What may be harmless and fun now can turn into arrogance later. If possible I would try to catch them and put some pressure (also called fear) on them. Then after talking to them give them permission to hunt but to always check with you first.
Don't let them take your good nature for granted.

Probably the best advice yet. The only thing I would do different is make them do some work so that they don't think it was free.

Lorenzo":f4qmcwne said:
These three young boys are poaching and they don't seem to worried about that from what we can see in the pictures.
They will not kill anything big with those 22lr, they are after axis does for meat. They don't destroyed anything, they must be from a near town 40 kilometres away from the farm. It seems they decided to escape from school and camp for a couple of days (I have pictures of them two consecutive days, monday and tuesday).

In some way I envy them, they make me remember those days when I was a kid roaming around the woods and everything was a great adventure....

I would just Pawn their Bicycles

We had the same problem on our property. They even went as far as to build a permanent duck blind! We starting going out there more often to make our presence known. After a few years, the trespassing ceased. Good Luck! I know how frustrating it can be.

Lorenzo":1st3wh3v said:

For them is great fun to be pictured by the cam :roll:

CopiadeIMG_0889.jpg

CopiadeIMG_0891.jpg

L

Kids being kids. Tell them if they want to hunt you have no problem as long as they respect you and your property and any livestock. I would also suggest they do some work to have hunting privileges. Who knows you might change a young mans life for the good.

I hate to even bring this up but feel compelled. If you let them hunt/trespass on your land knowingly, if (god forbid) any of them get hurt, you could be sued. I'd try to catch up with them and talk to them - maybe even talk to their parents and let them know that while you don't mind them being adventuresome, you will not be held responsible for any accidents.

This is the kind of thing that no one worried about 50 years ago, but we live in a litigous world now. Not trying to rain on the parade, but just giving another point of view.

Telling the kids you wont be held responsible doesn't make you not responsible. Telling them they can hunt there makes you liable. I wouldn't say anything to them and if they got hurt I wouldn't say I ever knew they were there.

Looks to me like a group of boys out huntin' small game. Back when I was that young I did the same thing often. Never did anything illegal (other than trespassing) but totally harmless. But as things are in the world today I'd probably have some sort of personal contact with them and the parents (take your pictures with you) and when the meeting was over we would all be in agreement about everything.

auctionboy":3lvepsd4 said:
Telling the kids you wont be held responsible doesn't make you not responsible. Telling them they can hunt there makes you liable. I wouldn't say anything to them and if they got hurt I wouldn't say I ever knew they were there.
Even if the parents did not hold you responsible some Attorney would tell them you were.

I would track them down and put the whoa on this now.
In my book this has trouble with a capital T written all over it.
Kids not related to you running on your land with firearms is just bad medicine, you can bet they have told all their friends.

Latest posts