What to do with May 2005 Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

wen

Reaction score
Have small 75 acre farm in North Central Texas with 7 cows, 1 Brangus bull, 2 new January calves, and 2 heifers.

The red (hereford/brangus) heifer is 8 months old and the baldy (hereford/brangus) heifer is also 8 months old. They look to be about 600 - 700 pounds and are in a small herd with bull but too young to breed yet. I just lost a calf in January born to a young heifer and don't want to go through that again! :(

I had planned to keep both heifers until they were old enough to breed as they are not kin to the present bull, but have no easy way to separate them for 7 more months except for a small 35 foot diameter corral or cross-fence a small area for them. This seems like a lot of trouble, but the only other option I can think of is take them to the sale barn soon and replace them with a couple of older cows or cow calf pairs (preferably Brangus). :?:

they may or may not be too young to breed yet. its really not so much a specific age as it is a combo of age and size that determines sexual maturity. your calves could possibly breed at that weight and age.

have any friends in your area that might be willing to help you out?

wen":18h5ldne said:
Have small 75 acre farm in North Central Texas with 7 cows, 1 Brangus bull, 2 new January calves, and 2 heifers.

The red (hereford/brangus) heifer is 8 months old and the baldy (hereford/brangus) heifer is also 8 months old. They look to be about 600 - 700 pounds and are in a small herd with bull but too young to breed yet. I just lost a calf in January born to a young heifer and don't want to go through that again! :(

I had planned to keep both heifers until they were old enough to breed as they are not kin to the present bull, but have no easy way to separate them for 7 more months except for a small 35 foot diameter corral or cross-fence a small area for them. This seems like a lot of trouble, but the only other option I can think of is take them to the sale barn soon and replace them with a couple of older cows or cow calf pairs (preferably Brangus). :?:

They're probably too young to be bred. It sounds like you'd be better off to take them to the sale barn and let someone else worry about keeping them separated from a bull. Our ag econ gurus tell us we're better off buying replacements than raising our own anyway. Good luck....

wen":1t1mlb1i said:
This seems like a lot of trouble, but the only other option I can think of is take them to the sale barn soon and replace them with a couple of older cows or cow calf pairs (preferably Brangus). :?:
Take em to the sale barn and replace them with something better. Always replace with bettern you sell.

wen":71xb3zgm said:
The red (hereford/brangus) heifer is 8 months old and the baldy (hereford/brangus) heifer is also 8 months old. They look to be about 600 - 700 pounds and are in a small herd with bull but too young to breed yet. :?:
If they are that size,and they are with the bull now,they are probably both bred already.

They're probably too young to be bred. It sounds like you'd be better off to take them to the sale barn and let someone else worry about keeping them separated from a bull. Our ag econ gurus tell us we're better off buying replacements than raising our own anyway. Good luck....

Thanks so much to everyone for their experience, comments, and recommendations.

Nice to know that a good forum like this exists for cattle. I certainly appreciate each and every reply made to this point and will continue to watch this thread.