What to do with beef heart

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":a0gpjbfp said:
Had kaszanka the other day. Pretty good stuff. Not beef heart but pork heart and a few other organs. Oh, and a quart or so of blood. I'm sure a beef heart would have worked just as well.

946143_789064947866160_3992449272396411751_n.jpg

No.

No

No".........absolutely not............ :2cents:

Jogeephus":15miv4dr said:
Had kaszanka the other day. Pretty good stuff. Not beef heart but pork heart and a few other organs. Oh, and a quart or so of blood. I'm sure a beef heart would have worked just as well.

946143_789064947866160_3992449272396411751_n.jpg

Sounds like the Blood Sausage we made when I was a boy. I can't remember everything that went into it, but I believe it was the meat from the hog's head, along with the kidneys and heart, and of course enough blood to give it color. It was cooked three times by the time it was served. When we butchered the hogs they would first cook the meat, then grind it, mix it with seasoning and the blood, stuff it in the large casings, and then boil it. Then when you got ready to eat it they would slice it and fry it. Because of the blood it would turn coal black when fried. I could eat it okay, but don't miss it.

My folks were all of German ancestry. I assume the kaszanka is from some region of eastern Europe, or do you know?

HDRider":1hqjm2jf said:
Jogeephus":1hqjm2jf said:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Didn't really care for that one myself.
Why?

I don't care for groats because as a child I had a bait of it. Sausage itself is not bad tasting at all its just the groats I don't care for.

Rafter S":1hqjm2jf said:
I assume the kaszanka is from some region of eastern Europe, or do you know?

Its Polish. The German version would be Wurstebrei or Grützwurst which are both essentially the same. All are made with the offal ground and mixed with groats mixed with blood then stuffed in the hog middles and cooked like you say. While I may not care that much for this I can't help but admire their ingenuity and frugality because one pig will produce enough of this to feed over 20 people.

Jogeephus":1ac0hckb said:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Didn't really care for that one myself.
Thankfully mom and dad didn't do blood sausage or feed us brains....head sausage was as "bad" as it got. I could/can eat it if I have enough mustard or vinegar......an abundance and easy access to food has us spoiled ya know.

I've had one blood sausage that I really like a lot. You really can't tell it from the regular patty sausage like Jimmy Dean but there is no meat in it only blood.

Latest posts