What to do with a troublesome rooster...

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
Make rooster soup!? We bought a few older chicks over the summer because we needed a few more hens. One grew up to be a beautiful rooster who was peaceable with everyone including the rooster we already had. Last week he decided to make his move and he issued a challenge when we weren't home. From what I hear, it was quite a cockfight. The little rooster ran the big one clear out of town. They came home exhausted and bloodied. We like our big rooster though so the little one had to go. I wanted to put him to good use so we used him to make a big pot of stock. After about 3 hours of simmering, everything finally broke down and the meat actually became tender. Strained it, froze some of the stock and made a soup with barley, corn, celery, carrots & chinese cabbage from the garden. Chicken noodle would have been nice, but I used what we had. Lots of scraps left over for the dogs, used the liver to make a cracker spread. In the meantime, order is restored in the coop and our remaining rooster is feeling good about himself again. (I know, I know it's not a big juicy steak. On a winter night, chicken soup hits the spot though.)

P1290130.jpg

rooster-edited.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, with the "troublesome rooster" in the title on a cooking board, then I got a little more nervous when I only saw a little of the photo and some of it red! Yes, I've heard a pressure cooker is the way to go. You're braver than I am, 2/B.

The soup does look really good 2B ! I bet it was a taste of summer in the winter ,as summer is what I think of when I combine all of those fresh veggies . :D