What to do with a mess of rock

Help Support CattleToday:

dbro

Reaction score
From clearing land, building a house and just in general I have an large stockpile of rock. Does any one have any suggestions on what I can do to utilize it. I have thought of using it for the walls of A structure to building walls or fences. Do you think a rock wall would contain any calves or could be utilized for hutches. I would love to sell or give away but i do not know who would want to buy or come haul. I have built some pathways and a wall to divide and hide where i keep most of my accumulated firewood and scrap metal and timber. Any suggestions?

why not put your location with your username so that maybe someone close could take it off your hands.

Yeh, knowing your location would help. Where I live, you couldn't give it away. Everybody has plenty of their own, and grow more every year. Although we do pick up the bigger ones, and always find a low spot, wet weather drainage, spill way, etc..... to put them. There are still rock fences around old homesteads all over this part of the country. Often thought about the labor to build one, but didn't think to long

Ouachita":3guq5qnz said:
Yeh, knowing your location would help. Where I live, you couldn't give it away. Everybody has plenty of their own, and grow more every year. Although we do pick up the bigger ones, and always find a low spot, wet weather drainage, spill way, etc..... to put them. There are still rock fences around old homesteads all over this part of the country. Often thought about the labor to build one, but didn't think to long
I agree, I just find spots that are washing out and fill em with rock.

You can use them for fence corner posts, give them as gifts (the shipping is pretty high), put out a sign that says "Free souvineer rocks", dump them in low spots, use them for fill, etc.. Pretty much only limited by your imagination

Have an excavator dig a deep hole and toss all the rock into it until your 4' from the surface, then fill it in and level it out. But we have lots of rock here and no purpose for it. :cowboy:

Around here someone would be more than happy to get them for landscaping purposes.

I dump mine in a low spot and the owners of my farm before me, made a small rock bridge that has been in place for over 100 years.

I am thinking of doing a fence around the house and possibly some pens and baby animal hutches by building some stone columns and putting wood rails in-between. What do y'all think?

Where I live you can't grab a shovel of dirt without a rock in it , thus the name Stone Arabia . Hook Line described it there's stone walls everywhere you look. Our forfathers worked their stones off building stone house's , stone foundations , stone walls ,etc. beutiful work yes pratical for today's farmer no. All the big farmers have dosed'm all up and hauled'm away. Me I still got my bit of history bout a mile :bang: of it. I 24d and roundup it every couple years Icouldn't afford to get rid of it so I'll leave it for whoever gets this place when I GO BELLY UP. :deadhorse: