What to do with “purebred” black angus heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Me and my son are partners, he made a deal on thirty bred corriente heifers.
When they unloaded them I said what is this, some were long horn cows that were 10 years old, when we palpated them only half were bred, I called the guy and told him that he advertised bred corriente heifers and there was just a few heifers in the bunch the rest were older longhorn cows and only half of them was bred.
Oh well is all he said.
I got 2 things out of this deal.
1. Don't let my son make deals sight unseen.
2. Don't ever deal with this guy again.
There's crooks everywhere.

Me and my son are partners, he made a deal on thirty bred corriente heifers.
When they unloaded them I said what is this, some were long horn cows that were 10 years old, when we palpated them only half were bred, I called the guy and told him that he advertised bred corriente heifers and there was just a few heifers in the bunch the rest were older longhorn cows and only half of them was bred.
Oh well is all he said.
I got 2 things out of this deal.
1. Don't let my son make deals sight unseen.
2. Don't ever deal with this guy again.
There's crooks everywhere.
I bought a cow sight unseen once. Guy comes to drop her off, and he and his buddy are acting a bit squirrely. Back up, take too long going over the paper work, open the gate and their gone. Turns out the heifer had a decent cut on her leg. Never turned into anything substantial, but I was still upset. Like you, I'll never buy anything sight unseen again.

Sell now and take your loss. Don't throw good money after bad. Everyone makes mistakes but the smart folks realize and quickly take their lumps.
116 went to the sale barn today! The little one will stay in the fence and is doing okay as I ramp up to feed her for November processing. We have customers for beef and are short on yearlings so she gets the pleasure!

Hopefully you will make some on the one on feed and won't lose too mujch on the one that went to the sale... We have all been there/done that once... and that is the key word... ONCE.....
If we consider the normal sized heifer's value at 1200.00 and the peewee heifer at 800 we only lost 200.00 plus feed, care and pain in the butt for 3+ months! I feel like the sale barn was way low Monday as she sold for 1.14 and was a good condition 9 weight solid black heifer! Oh well, this ain't even close to the worst deal of my 64 years on earth! Thanks again and I will let you know what the peewee hangs in a couple months or so!

If we consider the normal sized heifer's value at 1200.00 and the peewee heifer at 800 we only lost 200.00 plus feed, care and pain in the butt for 3+ months! I feel like the sale barn was way low Monday as she sold for 1.14 and was a good condition 9 weight solid black heifer! Oh well, this ain't even close to the worst deal of my 64 years on earth! Thanks again and I will let you know what the peewee hangs in a couple months or so!
Hope it works out, kinda seems like a pig in a poke. Don't really know what you're getting.

Latest posts