What to do now

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Trapped the little culprit that's been killing my chickens and it turns out to be a skunk. Got him in a live trap but what to do now. Can't hardly move him alive else I'll get sprayed again and once in a lifetime is enough. If I shoot it I risk damaging the trap but a damaged trap is a small price to pay compared to sleeping on the porch for three nights.

Jogeephus":2ib79v5a said:
Trapped the little culprit that's been killing my chickens and it turns out to be a skunk. Got him in a live trap but what to do now. Can't hardly move him alive else I'll get sprayed again and once in a lifetime is enough. If I shoot it I risk damaging the trap but a damaged trap is a small price to pay compared to sleeping on the porch for three nights.

Throw a tarp over the trap and run a hose from your exhuast pipe under the tarp and gas the little sucker

Ok, ok I've got it! Helicopter with a grapple hook and a monkey with a clothes pin on his nose.

I head shot one in the same situation with a .410 with birdshot with no stink. I have no idea if it would work every time but it worked at least once.

I head shot him with a .22 short and he just fell over. Apparently I cannot hit wire at short range. Didn't see him spray but the trap must have had plenty of oil on it cause it was all I could do to carry it to a spot to dump it. I stink of skunk but not that bad. I was gagging for a while but I think this was more from memories stirred from the last time I got sprayed. That was near about point blank. It was terrible.

Jogeephus":29vpenn2 said:
I head shot him with a .22 short and he just fell over. Apparently I cannot hit wire at short range. Didn't see him spray but the trap must have had plenty of oil on it cause it was all I could do to carry it to a spot to dump it. I stink of skunk but not that bad. I was gagging for a while but I think this was more from memories stirred from the last time I got sprayed. That was near about point blank. It was terrible.
It seems that when you do a brain shot and they relax that some seepage occurs.
I've used the 22 short and the 410 in the live trap both to the brain and they both worked, but they still leak a bit.
I wacked one the other day from 50 yards. Didn;t smell a thing till an hour or so later I drove past it and you could smell the stuff in the air, and my wife could smell it on my clothes when I came back in.

I think you are right about the seepage. If you step outside its ripe with skunk. I hope buzzards will eat it cause I'm not going near it again.

Jogeephus":dlxl75ba said:
I think you are right about the seepage. If you step outside its ripe with skunk. I hope buzzards will eat it cause I'm not going near it again.
Buzzards will wat a dead skunk faster then they will a dead cat.

If you know you've got a skunk around causing problems an asprin egg is the way to go. They just quit showing up... Or so I've been told. :roll:

NMVaquero":6f6x45xh said:
Drown it in a stock tank or pond.
No smell.

YOu still have to pick up the trap(covered or not) and they will still pi$$ straight down. I know this to be a fact!

Last time I had to deal with a live skunk animal control was involved. The gal told me that a skunk always stomps its front feet as a warning before it sprays. She would inch upon it and stop when it warned. She let it settle down then inched forward until she got a small tarp covering the trap. Carefully, she walked the covered trap out to her vehicle. No smell left behind.

Sure not many skunks left around here. I can't remember the last time I smelled one. And I really don't miss the smell.

Highgrit, we don't have many here anymore either with the exception of where my barn sits. For some reason there are more skunks on the highway here than possums. People have commented on this because its so obvious. I don't know what it is they like around here but its gotta be a honey hole for them for some reason.