What to do next?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf now 2 ½ weeks old. He will suck from a bottle if you stick nipple in his mouth. The cow would let him nurse if he could find a teat. The calf walks around the cow nudging her with his nose. I have put her teat in his mouth but he doesn't know what to do. He is in the pasture with other cows and calves, should I separate him and feed him grain? How long should I bottle feed him?

Bring them both to the sale barn. why bother with the trouble.
Cattle prices are high now!!!!

Seems like there is always someone looking for something to baby. :) :)

Anonymous":i1c8xmij said:
I have a calf now 2 ½ weeks old. He will suck from a bottle if you stick nipple in his mouth. The cow would let him nurse if he could find a teat. The calf walks around the cow nudging her with his nose. I have put her teat in his mouth but he doesn't know what to do. He is in the pasture with other cows and calves, should I separate him and feed him grain? How long should I bottle feed him?

at that age, he is not going to eat grain like you want him to. if you dont think he is nursing separate him and his mother in a pen for a day, and then put them together.. then you will know.

those little buggers can be contrary.. he most likely knows what to do, he just doesnt want you messing with him. unless you gave him colostrum and have been feeding him regularly all those 2-1/2 weeks, he has nursed.

good luck

jt

Latest posts