what to do about sale

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

was not sure where to post this at?....so here go's......ever year we take ours spring calfs to market this time of year so we can pay the land tax........now our barn will open on jan 5th......what do yal think will happen giving the info we have now....will the price fall so fast that we might sould hold them awhile longer.....or get out while we can...... dang if only we took them to market one week back.........thanks guys.....

I am in a similar scenario. I've got a load ready but I'm going to wait and see what happens. It will require extra work weaning the calves, and I'll be working with thin pastures, but that's better than the risk of live cattle prices next week.

> was not sure where to post this
> at?....so here go's......ever year
> we take ours spring calfs to
> market this time of year so we can
> pay the land tax........now our
> barn will open on jan
> 5th......what do yal think will
> happen giving the info we have
> now....will the price fall so fast
> that we might sould hold them
> awhile longer.....or get out while
> we can...... dang if only we took
> them to market one week
> back.........thanks guys.....

> speaking from experience....here in Canada there were virtually NO SALEs for 2-3 months. The auction markets shut down on May 20.

> was not sure where to post this
> at?....so here go's......ever year
> we take ours spring calfs to
> market this time of year so we can
> pay the land tax........now our
> barn will open on jan
> 5th......what do yal think will
> happen giving the info we have
> now....will the price fall so fast
> that we might sould hold them
> awhile longer.....or get out while
> we can...... dang if only we took
> them to market one week
> back.........thanks guys....

Stroker- I think I'd wait a few weeks until things level out and you have a better idea on where these prices will go. Local auction people are saying they are expecting few if any cattle, because no one wants to be the first to test the water- Go sweettalk the banker for a shorterm note for the taxes- calves should still count something for collateral.

Oldtimer

Joe that is what I was looking for.Someone from Canada to tell us the events that happened after BSE was first discovered.I think it is a little more complicated with the news release during holidays which I think was done on purpose.I wondered if we might be looking at a situation where we may not have sales for an extended time.Please give more info if possible.Thanks.

[email protected]

> Auctions marts shut down may 20, I don't think there were many if any sales untill the begining of August. Cows were worth about 5 cents, calves 50 to 70 maybe and fats 30-50. The fall run wasn't too bad for calves. 500lbs from 1.00 up t0 1.30 in November. However the last few weeks prices have fallen to around 1.00 again CDN. Cows are still 5 to 15 cents. We sold some 1500 lb plus cows mid November and took home about 175.00 a cow. We were looking forward to US borders reopening for young stuff after new year with optimism but I guess that is finished now. Bankers here are not taking cattle for collateral anymore and our net worth has fallen drastically. Not much fun.

Latest posts