what to cross with

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
what wold be the best to cross with my braunvieh cattle simm or maine anjou or saler wanting to increase weaning weights but still keep replacment heifers. all replies needed

trin":10w9j2vx said:
wanting to increase weaning weights but still keep replacment heifers.

I think the only bull for you with the above mentioned qualifications would be Simm.

Any reason why your only considering simm, maine, and salers? There are others out there that would provide good crosses, and still let you keep replacements.

A big framed beefy Simmental would help you increase weaning weights. Those big framy heavy milking Simmental-Braunvieh cross heifers would scare me too much; but IF you have the grass and don't mind feeding those big cows that will be a productive mama cow. Of those THREE, I would definitely pick the Simmental.

If it was me I would be looking for an Angus or a Hereford; but you would have to pick your bull carefully to not lose weaning weight. Another breed you should be considering in your 100% Continental system is Charolais. You can find a Char bull that can add pounds to almost any set of cows and still have feminine heifers.

i thought about herford but there is not much said on this board about herfords longevity or good weaning weights. i have also seen alot of herfords that there udder fell off after few years. i likeded those pictures of the black herfords but nobody seems to say much good about them. why not the maines or salers? the reason not going with angus is because i want one more cross before i go with an angus bull. what cross would you use anybody and everybody thanks for your answers.

Trin,

I think that a hereford or angus would do fine. Don't worry about the udders, herefords milk good. BUT, when you pick a bull out if your concerned about milk, check his milk EPD if available. If you want more growth, pick a bull that has those traits. With all the info readily available to us now (EPD's etc.) you can probably find a bull of just about any breed to fulfill your needs.

I wouldn't choose Charolais if you were gonna keep heifers for your herd. Just my opinion. But those would be some mighty big animals!

By definition, there is no such thing as a black hereford. A hereford angus cross will give you a black cow with hereford white markings. That is usually called a black baldy.

cypressfarms":2pdwmkdv said:
By definition, there is no such thing as a black hereford. A hereford angus cross will give you a black cow with hereford white markings. That is usually called a black baldy.
UH OH! :shock: :shock: :shock: Here we go again!

If you're wanting to keep replacements, I'd go with Hereford if your plan is to bred the replacements to Angus. Or another route would be to introduce some indicus breeding by breeding these Braunvieh to a Brangus, Beefmaster, or Gert bull, then breed those heifers to an Angus. You know what opinions are worth, but I would be leary of continuing to breed continental to continental if I was planning on keeping replacements due to large cow size which equates to a larger feed bill. To answer your question about Hereford longevity, the British breeds have long been known for staying productive for many years. That wouldn't concern me at all.

If you are willing to pay for good bulls there are plenty of Angus bulls that will add POUNDS.

Scotty

J. T.":3nmd7cmc said:
cypressfarms":3nmd7cmc said:
UH OH! :shock: :shock: :shock: Here we go again!

Sorry, I couldn't help it

J. T.":1krxtt4k said:
If you're wanting to keep replacements, I'd go with Hereford if your plan is to bred the replacements to Angus. Or another route would be to introduce some indicus breeding by breeding these Braunvieh to a Brangus, Beefmaster, or Gert bull, then breed those heifers to an Angus. You know what opinions are worth, but I would be leary of continuing to breed continental to continental if I was planning on keeping replacements due to large cow size which equates to a larger feed bill. To answer your question about Hereford longevity, the British breeds have long been known for staying productive for many years. That wouldn't concern me at all.
i would love to cross these cows with a black beefmaster but in ky they love to dock a calf with a little ear on them. i think a braunvieh beefmaster cow would be a great mamma cow. does anybody breed or have any braunvieh cross cattle if so what do you think about them. if you have any pictures can you post them would love to see them.

This like that little boy that kissed the calf on the butt. I hate the Cont's but they have there place. You need to set back and really look at what will produce you a set of uniform calves.

Now some of ya'll sit down as I would go with Angus or Hereford and build my base herd over the next few years. Now look out if you chose Angus bring Mr Hereford in or Mr Char and the bell at the salebarn is ringing, or bring Mr Hereford in first followed by Angus or Char.

My 2 cents

Caustic Burno'":2zev329t said:
Now some of ya'll sit down as I would go with Angus or Hereford.........My 2 cents

I don't believe what I'm reading!! :shock: :shock: Caustic, are you feeling ok? Fever perhaps? :lol: :lol:

I would go with either hereford or gelbvieh,then breed there daughters angus.If your worried about the longevity of hereford cows don't be,they will be in your herd for a very long time.