what to clean stock tank with?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80

Reaction score
What do you guys (and girls ) use to clean algae out of stock tank?
Thought about pouring a little bleach in it, if so how much. It's a metal 100 gal. tank.

I just let mine get low enough to tip over, and then pressure wash it. Don't do that very often either.

Thanks greybeard. That's a helpful topic. I didn't know it was talked about already. Appreciate the head's up!

Rafter S":11yb1z0u said:
Bigfoot":11yb1z0u said:
I tried goldfish after that thread, and couldn't get them to live.

I have some that have lasted for years. Is your water chlorinated?

Usually this tank had well water. Occasionally it had chlorinated. If the chlorinated was put directly on the bottom, it didn't seem to affect them.

Here's what I do for bad algae:
Rinse well with powerwasher; then add some water and scrub with a good stiff scrub brush and Dawn detergent;rinse; add heavyduty outdoor bleach (I use about a third or half gallon per tub, but have no idea if that's overkill); fill to top with water; let sit a bit then rinse well.

I don't necessarily do the bleach step every time

boondocks":21mmbt4l said:
Rinse well with powerwasher; then add some water and scrub with a good stiff scrub brush and Dawn detergent;rinse; add heavyduty outdoor bleach (I use about a third or half gallon per tub, but have no idea if that's overkill); fill to top with water; let sit a bit then rinse well.

Ditto but I always use bleach

skyhightree1":135mcmb0 said:
boondocks":135mcmb0 said:

glad to hear it. I've been wondering if bleach is overkill and a bit worried there's residue left that might not be good for them. I do rinse rinse rinse though.

boondocks":srmi5ear said:
skyhightree1":srmi5ear said:
boondocks":srmi5ear said:

glad to hear it. I've been wondering if bleach is overkill and a bit worried there's residue left that might not be good for them. I do rinse rinse rinse though.

Well bleach what little left won't kill them.. folks that are on county water it has some chemicals in it. The dr even suggest bleach in bath water if person has diabetes so can't be but so bad.. I generally hit wally world in the fall and buy pool bleach

skyhightree1":326lky8q said:
boondocks":326lky8q said:
skyhightree1":326lky8q said:

Well bleach what little left won't kill them.. folks that are on county water it has some chemicals in it. The dr even suggest bleach in bath water if person has diabetes so can't be but so bad.. I generally hit wally world in the fall and buy pool bleach

A little bleach is a good thing.

Stocker Steve":2y1nt9p9 said:
NolanCountyAG":2y1nt9p9 said:
Handful of cornmeal for a few days and then every other week.

corn meal kills algae ?

must be a GMO thing
Goldfish first.
Then, after they get big and fat on the algae, throw in the cornmeal--lots of it.
Instant fish breading and the goldfish are ready to fry... :hide: