What to charge.

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":zul9rs49 said:
I sell mine by live weight but I think I figured on one that they were paying around$2.25 -$2.50 hanging weight and then they paid for processing

I hope those aren't your friends or neighbors because you are really gouging them at those prices .at 2.50 that would figure back to roughly $1.50 a lb. live wt. add processing & you're heading towards $2000.00.or more OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!! :cry2:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":1vcauqzm said:
Angus Cowman":1vcauqzm said:
I sell mine by live weight but I think I figured on one that they were paying around$2.25 -$2.50 hanging weight and then they paid for processing

I hope those aren't your friends or neighbors because you are really gouging them at those prices .at 2.50 that would figure back to roughly $1.50 a lb. live wt. add processing & you're heading towards $2000.00.or more OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!! :cry2:

should have said they have between $2.25 and $2.50 with the processing

here are my figure 1200lb steer x$1.25 live weight =$1500
hanging wt 720#
processing$.35 x720# =$252
total cost $1752/720# = $2.43pr lb

baxter78":yynsg7e0 said:
grannysoo":yynsg7e0 said:
lennie":yynsg7e0 said:
(there is no profit in small scale beef)

Yes there is.......

Sure there is. I have spent 3,000 dollars in feed. I will sell 14 bulls to slaughter at 1.20 per pound live weight. That is 16,080.00 -3,000 for feed I have made $13,080.00. That is a profit if you ask me. About 1,000 of that will go to fertilizer and hay in the spring. Now I have pocketed 12,080.00. On normal year I would be able to pocket that much 12,080.00. This year however I bought a new stock trailer at 5,900 dollars so 12,080.00-5,900.00 equals 6,180.00 that I can pocket. Looks like I will be going to Las Vegas sometime later this year with part of that money woooo hoooo. I still have five registered heifers to sale in March at a production sale and about 4-6 more that I plan to sell in April at another Sale. So I am making a profit this year believe it or not.

$1.20 a # for 950++ bulls live weight?? yea right, sounds like a lotta BULL to me opps I mean bull crap!!! Where are you selling these BULLS! I can have a pot belly ready tommorow!!

:D :D :D

Limomike":254ieq4j said:
Just curious, when you go to the slaughter house, how do you know you are getting your own beef back?

Where I work, the owner has blood and hair samples taken from the animals prior to slaughter. Once the beef is processed, they then take a sample of the meat (muscle, which contains blood) and have all the samples DNA'd to make sure that the before and after are the same DNA.

Personally, I trust the place where I take my animals.

Katherine

We sell our "shares" in a live animal, price based on the hanging weight for $2.50 per pound and the customer pays 1/4 of the slaughter plus the cut & wrap. Basically we are selling four families a live animal and we broker the processing.
Alot of folks are selling for alot less and we talk with customers that have had some bad expericnces with "bargan beef". I see alot of cull cattle going through the slaughter house that I wouldn't sell as ground beef. Customer education and high quality beef gets us sold out every production cycle and a waiting list on our production board.
We also sell but the cut at the farmer's markets and have been processing eight head for packaged beef sales. It takes more time and a bit more work but the retrurn per head is well worth it. Processed a two year old Lim bull last spring...625# of ground beef @ $5.00 per pound...15# of tenderloin for $18.00 per pound and a couple of flank steak for $7.50 per pound, not a bad return.
Good luck and enjoy your share.
Regards...Dave Mc

That's what I'm talking about Susie!
If you're going to do a great job producing meat, sell it as meat! Don't look to the "market" for prices, look at the grocery store, at least. Here the only grass fed beef I can get at the grocery store is $6 per lbs, do you think I'm going to charge less than $3 for what I produce? No way. When our steers start making it to the processor, we'll be charging some where between store bought grass fed beef and grocery store regular beef. I don't really care what other farmers are charging their friends for beef, or what the auction barn is doing. I think that this is the only way we can make money, and the same goes for our heritage pastured pork.

I have sold 3 steers for beef in the last month. I sold them all for $2.00 per pound hanging weight and they pay all butcher fees. If I have to sale them any cheaper then that I will just eat them myself. I am not feeding them every day and hauling to the butcher for a loss. They are worth it or people wouldnt be buying them.

Bigiron":1o1gfqbs said:
I have sold 3 steers for beef in the last month. I sold them all for $2.00 per pound hanging weight and they pay all butcher fees. If I have to sale them any cheaper then that I will just eat them myself. I am not feeding them every day and hauling to the butcher for a loss. They are worth it or people wouldnt be buying them.

I think $2.00 hanging weight would be the minimum you can take at $1.25 live weight it figures about $2.08 a lb hanging and that is the least I can sell for

It sure seems like some on here are selling awfully cheap. I keep an eye on prices at local meat markets and groc stores and base my price off this. If you provide a good product that is feed right, everyone stays pleased.