What to Charge ?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
A friend of a friend has asked if I would be willing to haul somesquare bale hay for them at a cost. I am trying to decide if I want to do this and if so what should I charge.

Here are the facts:
-I will use my 2500HD & 24' gooseneck trailer
-They will load the trailer from the field
-I will strap everything down
-150 squale bales, weighing 50lbs each
-Trip is 100 miles one way, or 200 miles round trip
-They will unload.

What would be a fair price if I have the time to do this?
Should a put a time limit on loading and unloading, If so what do I charge for each hour I have to wait?

Advise appreciated

Are you going to be driving around in the field while they load?

Or are you going to pull up to a stack to load?

You will burn as much fuel in the field as you will on the highway.

I usually charge by the hour on these type of deals. $50-$75 per/hr minimum for the entire time. You won't get rich either.

i haul just about anything for 1$ mile when i leave the gate if its for hire only not a favor. or 20% of take home on a cow haul or horse dealings. always seems fair enough but diesel is gettin higher evryday. git some for you for your labor and makem pay the fuel costs

Nowland Farms":3qti8xpf said:
A friend of a friend has asked if I would be willing to haul somesquare bale hay for them at a cost. I am trying to decide if I want to do this and if so what should I charge.

Here are the facts:
-They will unload.

Should a put a time limit on loading and unloading, If so what do I charge for each hour I have to wait?

Advise appreciated
i wouldnt haul the hay for less than .75 a bale.thats $125 a load.youll use about gal of fuel.thats $50 a load.an $75 for the truck an your time.

Here last year 1 ton dullies hauling 17 round bales 150 miles ,300 miles round trip were charging $20 a bale = $340 a load = $1.15 a mile and you can load and unload the rounds a lot quicker, by the time you do all this you will 6 to 8 hours invested in the project because nothing ever goes as you plan it. after all expenses figured you will make about minumin wage

Whether you're hauling hay or cattle, it costs the same!

With the cost of diesel hitting around $3. a gal and same for gas, plus vehicle/trailer insurance proration, wear and tear on vehicle/trailer, etc...

Any thing less than $1.50 a one-way loaded mile plus about $15-25 an hour for your time waiting to load, unload would be taking a $$ hit.

Semi and/or GN rigs are charging anywhere between $2.50 and $3.50 a one-way loaded mile. These guys are making a fair wage, etc. They aren't in the hauling business as a charity, non-profit business... ;-)

We haul cattle to and from the sale barn for $2 a mile, weather it's one cow or twenty. I dont see any difference except hauling hay is a little more work, with the straping and unstraping.

Guys thanks for the input.

I believe I am going to charge $2 per loaded mile and $20 per hour for load and unload.

I'm not needing to do this to make a living. I'm just thinking of trying to help someone out while sticking a few dollars in my pocket. That is if I have no problems.

I beleave if it were me i would pass on the whole deal. With out riping the person off. Your not going to make enough money for the risk you would be taken hauling the stuff that far nor for the time you will have tied up in hauling it.

Stepper":2wddur5l said:
I beleave if it were me i would pass on the whole deal. With out riping the person off. Your not going to make enough money for the risk you would be taken hauling the stuff that far nor for the time you will have tied up in hauling it.

That is kind of what I was thinking.

If this was a friend, I'd say do it for nothing. Let them buy the fuel. But this started out with a "friend of a friend."

Just got a custom rate sheet in the mail. It says hauling with a trailer 2.15 per loaded mile or hauling with a truck $2.50 per loaded mile.

wow, we had some heifers hauled up to us from kansas city which is about 250 miles from here. at 2 bucks a miles. dang that got expensive. i understood how they can afford to haul 3 heifers in a big truck and a 24 foot trailer. i think i just made there payments for them. anyway, if there friends i wouldnt charge so much. i would to it for 200 dollars easy, but im just nice like that.

cattleluvr18":lro0n9j9 said:
wow, we had some heifers hauled up to us from kansas city which is about 250 miles from here. at 2 bucks a miles. dang that got expensive. i understood how they can afford to haul 3 heifers in a big truck and a 24 foot trailer. i think i just made there payments for them. anyway, if there friends i wouldnt charge so much. i would to it for 200 dollars easy, but im just nice like that.
you brought up a good point on cattle hauling.i was going to buy some reg cattle an have the owner haul them in.an i was getting 3 or 4 hd.an the haul was 175mi.an the owner still wanted me to pay for the fuel.i bout lost it right there because i was going to cut a check for $8000 for 4hd.i was like for that money id deliver them for free.

You will also need to apply for Alabama intrastate for hire operating authority, along with providing proof of commercial liability insurance to the state of Alabama. You will need to get a D-1 card and a bingo stamp for Alabama for sure. I'm guessing those things will use up any profit you thought about making. Of course you could do it illegally and hope you don't get caught.

somn":36uvll44 said:
You will also need to apply for Alabama intrastate for hire operating authority, along with providing proof of commercial liability insurance to the state of Alabama. You will need to get a D-1 card and a bingo stamp for Alabama for sure. I'm guessing those things will use up any profit you thought about making. Of course you could do it illegally and hope you don't get caught.

errr, in light of this I guess I will take "my" hay, hual it myself and give it to them for "free". Maybe they can buy me a "BIG LUNCH" as a token of their appreication for me "giving" them my hay? What do you think? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nowland Farms":mm7anrm6 said:
somn":mm7anrm6 said:

errr, in light of this I guess I will take "my" hay, hual it myself and give it to them for "free". Maybe they can buy me a "BIG LUNCH" as a token of their appreication for me "giving" them my hay? What do you think? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
If you are able to sleep with yourself at night after breaking the law by all means haul that hay. It speaks of your character.

Nowland Farms":55wphpzi said:

Here are the facts:
-They will unload.

Advise appreciated

A friend of a friend, do you know the person? Maybe if you explained how much it was going to cost you in diesel, and your time, you could come up with a price together? Alot depends on where the driving will be, interstate, back roads, etc... All you are really doing is driving and strapping, but then again diesel is high and your time I imagine is worth alot too. Got to charge something, friends or not. If they had to hire someone they would pay them, so whats the difference? If it was close family or a longtime friend that is something entirely different. Going rate here is $2.5-$3 a mile.

GMN

Latest posts