What to breed with Reg. Herford Polled Bull 2year old

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently bought a 2 year old polled herford bull that is registered. I can't decide what kind of cows to put with him any suggestions? Also if I put registered braham cows with him then I guess I could register the calves at Brafords on the first cross?

Hereford X Brahman F1 heifers are highly desirable in the South. Brafords are technically 3/8 Brah x 5/8 Hereford. I use Brafords with great luck.

Hereford X Brahman F1 heifers are highly desirable in the South. Brafords are technically 3/8 Brah x 5/8 Hereford. I use Brafords with great luck.

well how do get the 3/8 braham and 5/8 herfords? That would take a couple of breeding right? The first breeding the f1 should be 50/50. So is an f1 a true braford or is it a braford when its 3/8 and 5/8?

True Braford is 3/8 X 5/8. F1 is still desirable. Crossbreeding until you get the ture Braford takes more than I am willing to put in when I can buy them readily for a fair price.

txkrusader":3c4u86hk said:
I recently bought a 2 year old polled herford bull that is registered. I can't decide what kind of cows to put with him any suggestions? Also if I put registered braham cows with him then I guess I could register the calves at Brafords on the first cross?

registered hereford x registered brahman = golden certified f1's. these females generally bring premiums at replacement sales (at least in the south). steers will generally take a hit and do not classify for chb.

registered hereford x brangus or brangus-type females = black gold females. both steers and heifers sell for premiums.

Good idea to go the Braford way. Here in Australia most Brafords are about 5/8 Brahman 3/8 Hereford. To have more Hereford you just cannot compete. The more Brahman the better especially in the hotter areas.
Most Braford breeders here in Australia would never have 3/8 Brahman. Not enough to get the good Brahman benefit.
:)

IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE FIRST CROSS BETWEEN TWO REGISTERED BREEDS IS AN F1.

HERFORD + BRAHMA = F1 BRAFORD
BRAHMA + ANGUS = F1 BRANGUS AND SO FORTH....

NOW I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE LABLE IS IF YOU CROSS AN F1 BRAFORD WITH AN F1 BRAFORD? AN F2?

jfont":2cfnesf8 said:
IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE FIRST CROSS BETWEEN TWO REGISTERED BREEDS IS AN F1.

NOW I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE LABLE IS IF YOU CROSS AN F1 BRAFORD WITH AN F1 BRAFORD? AN F2?

you're right. any 1st generation cross between 2 different breeds is an f1. if you cross 2 f1's it's then the f2 generation but no one uses that term.

here in so-cent tx, hereford x brahman crosses are generally called f1's. if you say f1, most folks will think that's what you're referring to.

txag":2q1rweya said:
jfont":2q1rweya said:

you're right. any 1st generation cross between 2 different breeds is an f1. if you cross 2 f1's it's then the f2 generation but no one uses that term.

here in so-cent tx, hereford x brahman crosses are generally called f1's. if you say f1, most folks will think that's what you're referring to.
thanks for clearing that up.

Colin Chevalley":16cyxkeq said:
Good idea to go the Braford way. Here in Australia most Brafords are about 5/8 Brahman 3/8 Hereford. To have more Hereford you just cannot compete. The more Brahman the better especially in the hotter areas.
Most Braford breeders here in Australia would never have 3/8 Brahman. Not enough to get the good Brahman benefit.
Colin
Most people on this board are interested in how the cattle will perform
in the good ole US of A. You have a different climate in northern Au.
than most of the south, southeast, midwest, northwest US of A. The amount Brahman influence that you want in your part of Australia
we do not necessarily need here. The U S of A cattle can do quiet well
with the British and Continental breeds and some areas may need 3/8
or less Brahman Influence for the majority of the market here.

Anonymous":2b0e8cv2 said:
Colin Chevalley":2b0e8cv2 said:
Colin
Most people on this board are interested in how the cattle will perform
in the good ole US of A. You have a different climate in northern Au.
than most of the south, southeast, midwest, northwest US of A. The amount Brahman influence that you want in your part of Australia
we do not necessarily need here. The U S of A cattle can do quiet well
with the British and Continental breeds and some areas may need 3/8
or less Brahman Influence for the majority of the market here.
la4angus

Latest posts