what to breed to?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just purchased my first registered Angus. I AI my old cows out of the ABS catalog... This new registered heifer is a Sitz Alliance 6595 daughter. With ABS in mind, what would you breed her to? Thanks for all opinions

Breed to ANYTHING but Angus

Don't get caught in the follow the leader trap.

Best of luck but sorry to hear about your mistaken purchase.

Anonymous":19nybbcs said:
I just purchased my first registered Angus. I AI my old cows out of the ABS catalog... This new registered heifer is a Sitz Alliance 6595 daughter. With ABS in mind, what would you breed her to? Thanks for all opinions

I like Modern Design- calving ease, good carcass traits and looks like he doesn't add a lot to frame size- isn't as proven as some of the sires, but his daddy 878 was a top seller. I'm running half brother sons of 878 this year on cows and heifers.

A couple of neighbors that AI their heifers are going with Lead On this year for their heifers- little less calving ease.

I will go through the ABS catalog and get back with you with my opinion.
Send me a PM with more info on the Hfr.
ABS certainly has some outstanding ANGUS Bulls.
They are the #1 breed of Beef Cattle.
Pay little or no attention to john s :lol: :lol:

Look closely at PFRED
Proven Customer Favorite for Four Star

Calving Ease and Growth
* Super birth to yearling spread with excellent carcass and scrotal EPDs
* Rock Solid at .99 accuracy for all performance traits with 155 carcass records and 884 scan records
* Progeny are attractive patterned with added growth and frame size
* PFRED is becoming an increasingly popular purebred sire due to his no-holes, high accuracy EPD profile and larger framed phenotyp
* Rock Solid - Birth Weight, Performance, Maternal and Carcass

Birth Weight: 74 lbs. Weight: 2,675 lbs. Mature
Adj 205 Weight: 706 lbs. Ratio 115 Height: 61 in. Mature
Adj 365 Weight: 1,386 lbs. Ratio 109 Yearling Frame Score: N/A
Scrotal Circum: 48 cm. Mature Born: 03/31/92
Calving Ease:
Carcass Merit:

B/R New Design 878 the Bull old timer is talking about, I like much better than his sire.
Another bull to consider. I have seen several of his calves and they are outstanding and he has made some good daughters, Not many high Carcass Sires produce high maternal daughters.

The Sure Bet
* Unbeatable consistency and customer satisfaction make him the sure bet first choice for a majority of situations
* No surprises with Rock Solid accuracy based on over 14,000 progeny and 500 plus daughters on record
* Impressive phenotype - progeny are thick topped and attractive patterned from day one
* Super maternal value - with added fleshing ability and a solid daughter record look for 878 to be one of the breeds next great cow makers
* Carcass value - Sired the majority of the all-ABS influenced pen that claimed the Championship in the Steer Division for Jim Gregory and C.K. Allen in the 2003 National Angus Carcass Challenge

Birth Weight: 66 lbs. Weight: 2,320 lbs. Mature
Adj 205 Weight: 758 lbs. Ratio 111 Height: 57 in. 27 Months
Adj 365 Weight: 1,369 lbs. Ratio 106 Yearling Frame Score: 6.2
Scrotal Circum: 35.8 cm. 13 Months Born: 02/17/98
Calving Ease:
Carcass Merit:

4 Point 8 is making a good name for him self.

Stacked Curve Beder and Efficiency Genetics
* Outcross calving ease sire backed by 22 years of feed efficiency testing and 15 years of ultrasound
* His initial calf crop posted super birth (98) and weaning (103) ratios giving him one of the top birth to yearling spreads on teh supplemental list
* 4.82 individual feed efficiency with a 123 ratio
* His sire, and both grand sires also topped their calf crops with feed efficiency ratios of 128, 113 and 119

Birth Weight: 75 lbs. Weight: N/A
Adj 205 Weight: 654 lbs. Ratio 108 Height: N/A
Adj 365 Weight: 1,353 lbs. Ratio 111 Yearling Frame Score: N/A
Scrotal Circum: 38 cm. 12 Mo Born: 04/02/01
Calving Ease: 3 ***

The 878 calves that I have seen were a little light muscled is that his nature?

ollie":1hwk54vl said:

ollie- The yearling bulls I bought look good- although I don't think they had the muscling or the capacity of the Fortune 2000 bulls I bought a couple years ago- they and the Blockbusters I had because of the calving ease for the heifers raised some nice calves- some great looking heifers. Still like the California Traveller son as best on heifers.

878 has really sold people on his stats and carcass- I was at a sale the other day where 1 ranch bought 8 of the 9 878 sons that sold- then he bought every 878 son left , private treaty, from the place I get my bulls. This same rancher owns several feedlots, in Kansas and Montana. Makes me believe that he must be producing calves that feed out pretty good.

Sorry for joining in so late. Where do I find the ABS catalog, I would like to try to follow your conversation.

Tman":4kjr5b5k said:
Sorry for joining in so late. Where do I find the ABS catalog, I would like to try to follow your conversation.

Find one online. Go to http://www.absglobal.com. Click on Beef, when the beef page opens click on the the Breed. Click on the name of the breed; not on the picture. By clicking on the picture it will give you the Breed Assn Sire Summary. If you click on the Breed Name on bar to the left it will give you a list of bulls. Click on the Code # in Blue print on the far left.
This will give you a picture and information on the bull, mostly such as I have posted but more.

The 3 bulls that I have posted info. on Is the bull called Pfred, he is listed 5th down under calving ease, 878, the bull that Oldtimer mentioned is listed 8th, also in the calving ease section.
Farther down in Calving Ease Low Accuracy you will 4 point 8, the bull that dun mentioned listed first.

ollie":3imgccay said:
Yes that is pretty much his nature. But he is better than his sire. I don't care for him at all. 878 and BonView New Design 1407 are IMO much better than their sire B/R New Design O36.
878 is a good carcass sire.

la4angus":74d2eicp said:
ollie":74d2eicp said:
Yes that is pretty much his nature. But he is better than his sire. I don't care for him at all. 878 and BonView New Design 1407 are IMO much better than their sire B/R New Design O36.
878 is a good carcass sire.
http://www.geneticsolutions.com.au/content/results_public.asp?name=Public_Results here is the public results on 878 as it relates to Genestar. I'm not sure how to read this. Is this two seperate tests of the tenderness gene?
I'm sorry. I screwed it up someway. Go to their website and look .

There are not two different tests for tenderness, it is 2 different genes that they look for...the Calpastatin and the Caplain (sp?)

Did that information mean that 878 has no genes for marbeling? If so how well does it correlate in respect to the carcass discussion that we have been having?

Latest posts