What to breed to Braford Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

brightpond

Reaction score
I just came in possession of a young registered F1 Braford bull. I wanted to add a few heifers/cows that would produce a nice calf with him but I'm not sure what to go with. I know I don't want any more brahma in the mix. Any ideas on what I should keep my eye out for? Any help is appreciated!

I'd like to see that Angus x Braford

I don't have experience with it, but I'd be afraid of birthing problems, especially on Angus heifers. I'd put him on cows that have had at least 2 easy births

I've got a pretty good little sprinkle of calves outta black and herford cows and a f1 braford bull,.both new calves and some fall calves in the weaning pen. I try to get some pics today and put them up.
If you're going to market definitely go with black cows on the Hereford cows you can make some nice replacement s.

jschoolcraft86 said:
No love for charolais (or any other continental breed)? Wouldn't that produce some good 3 way crosses that would mash the scales?

That's how we roll...you breed a braford, brangus, beefmaster,or Victoria type cattle to charlois bulls and yes they grow like weeds

that's my game plan also. I am working towards getting some tigerstripes going and throwing charolais on them. I'm a few years off from getting it going but I've got a plan

Brute 23 said:
I'm not a Char guy but its definitely a good option. That's a very popular mix around here.

Have you noticed that the char cross calves will sell right along even better than the blacks. As long as their grays.
If they're pink skinned they get docked like a Hereford. I took a load over to capital a few months ago. Called ahead to see what they'd quote me on price...the buyer asked straight out , they're not pink nosed are they? I should have asked but I didn't.....this seems to be a new trend to me.

Ya they will top the market some times but I dipped my toe in the Char deal one time and got popped on a rat tail bull calf that was a stud. The rat tail is proven not to effect feeding out or meat quality in any way, shape, or form. Between docks for rat tails, being one shade too grey, pink noses... but good with Char x LH... the hypocracy around them is too much for me. The bulls can be a PIA to keep on your property, also.

I know when I put that black Angus out he will paint them black with no loop holes and they will sell. Plus, I like skimming a few of those black baldie heifers off the top every year. :)

Latest posts