What to breed F-1baldie (angus-hereford) cross to

Help Support CattleToday:

blk baldie

Reaction score
I have 50 F-1 black baldie cows and would like to keep it that way. My question is would I have better luck keeping my herd black baldies if I bred them to a Registered Black Hereford bull or a Simm/Angus baldie bull? Thanks

blk baldie":16z95d9e said:
I have 50 F-1 black baldie cows and would like to keep it that way. My question is would I have better luck keeping my herd black baldies if I bred them to a Registered Black Hereford bull or a Simm/Angus baldie bull? Thanks

There are no registered black Herefords in or allowed in the AHA.
The scam brings nothing to the table why give up hybred vigor.

blk baldie":3bu3suv7 said:
I have 50 F-1 black baldie cows and would like to keep it that way.
..... if I bred them to a Registered Black Hereford bull or a Simm/Angus baldie bull?
The mothers would still be f1 baldies... but the offspring would not be f1s.
f1s result from mating 2 pure breeds only... a f1 bred to f1 will not give you f1 offspring
Depending on where you are located, Bigfoot's suggestion of breeding to brangus to sell super baldies sounds good.
or
breed them to a 3rd pure (charolais, gelbvieh, or simmental) and sell the calves to buy more f1 baldies as needed.

Bigfoot":31oykpvp said:
Hit em with a brangus. Sell some super baldie hiefers.
that would be good
A f1 Brangus would be even better in my opinion.
some black mottle face 1/2 Brahman heifers would be worth a lot in the right place.
and yes I know you take a hit on the steers but no one ever talks about the raise you get on the heifers.

quote]
f1s result from mating 2 pure breeds only... a f1 bred to f1 will not give you f1 offspring
so if you bred them with another f1 black baldy does that mean you may get some black baldy and some solid blacks and also some red white face. As the result of two cross bred it would not be an f1 so they could look like the parents of the first cross. That's the way I always understood it BUT I may not be right ???

BRYANT":24cgkzh4 said:
quote]
so if you bred them with another f1 black baldy does that mean you may get some black baldy and some solid blacks and also some red white face. As the result of two cross bred it would not be an f1 so they could look like the parents of the first cross. That's the way I always understood it BUT I may not be right ???
Yep you got an F-2 and that could look like a box of crayons

BRYANT":2mxqdgj9 said:
Bigfoot":2mxqdgj9 said:
that would be good
BUT he has neither the purebred angus nor the pure brahman needed to produce f1 brangus.
or
Do you want him sell his 50 f1 baldie cows, then take that money and buy registered angus cows, so he can breed/ A.I.
them to brahman bulls?

Son of Butch":1tgs9tsq said:
BRYANT":1tgs9tsq said:
Bigfoot":1tgs9tsq said:
that would be good
BUT he has neither the purebred angus nor the pure brahman needed to produce f1 brangus.
or
Do you want him sell his 50 f1 baldie cows, then take that money and buy registered angus cows, so he can breed/ A.I.
them to brahman bulls?

Wouldn't he just buy a angus/Brahman f1 bull?

Bigfoot":2uhabkra said:
Son of Butch":2uhabkra said:
BRYANT":2uhabkra said:
that would be good
or
them to brahman bulls?

Yes... I believe that is what a Super Baldie refers to, but I maybe wrong as I no experience with brahmans.
A f1 Brangus can only be produced by crossing 2 pure breeds and BRYANT specifically stated producing f1 brangus would be better.

Son of Butch":2xpgv47i said:
Bigfoot":2xpgv47i said:
Son of Butch":2xpgv47i said:
or
them to brahman bulls?

Yes... I believe that is what a Super Baldie refers to, but I maybe wrong as I no experience with brahmans.
A f1 Brangus can only be produced crossing 2 pure breeds.

Super baldie could mean a lot of things to different people I guess. Braford/angus, homespun brangus/Hereford, true brangus/Hereford. Any motley or bald face cow with some ear is a super baldie to me.

Son of Butch":15h59z5z said:
BRYANT":15h59z5z said:
Bigfoot":15h59z5z said:
that would be good
or
them to brahman bulls?
I am totally lost now I didn't say any thing about raising a f1 bull
he did not say anything about raising his bull. if I was looking for a f1 brangus I would go buy one. Not that hard to find.

Son of Butch":v4r3qk1v said:
Bigfoot":v4r3qk1v said:
Son of Butch":v4r3qk1v said:
or
them to brahman bulls?

A f1 Brangus can only be produced by crossing 2 pure breeds and BRYANT specifically stated producing f1 brangus would be better.

no I said to use a f1 brangus on his f1 Baldie cows. You would get a lot of mottle face calves and even with a full Brahman I think you would get a lot of mottle face calves with some ear but they would not be F1's using either one of them bulls. to keep a herd of true F1 black baldies he will have to use Herefords and Angus. I was misunderstood or didn't make my self clear. Went back and read what I posted I was saying two options a F1 Brangus or a full Brahman. I was not real clear in how I worded it. to much hillbilly talk in it :lol:

Buy some top quality Hereford cows and add them to your herd. Breed everything angus and keep replacements out of the Herefords. They will be f-1. The OP didn't say anything about Brangus or Brahman. If he is anywhere in the Northern half of the country he would take a serious beating selling those eared calves.

Are you keeping replacements? Looking for more pounds at weaning? What are your objectives? To answer whether or not you would have better luck getting BLACK baldy calves, I would say that using a homo black Sim bull with or without a whiteface will keep the calves black hided and still give you the white that you want. Using a "black Hereford" if he's truly a "black Hereford" F1, he will be heterozygous black (carry the red gene). If your cows are Hereford crosses, then they will also be heterozygous black and you will have a chance of getting red calves. Depending on where you are located, red will get you docked. Extra white will also get docked in some places. We usually end up running a homo black Sim bull with our F1s and the calves always seem to keep the black hide, usually have a whiteface and most importantly perform well.

Dave":2bt432ba said:
Buy some top quality Hereford cows and add them to your herd. Breed everything angus and keep replacements out of the Herefords. They will be f-1. The OP didn't say anything about Brangus or Brahman. If he is anywhere in the Northern half of the country he would take a serious beating selling those eared calves.

sounds like his concern is to keep a black white face, breeding for color, Brahman or Brangus would produce a lot of white / mottled face calves. True he did not say what part of the country he is from. If he had said he was from the Northern half of the country then I would not have recommended anything with Brahman in it, but who know he may be from south Texas or even as far north as Oklahoma if so them heifers would be worth a gold mine. True steers take a hit , not as bad as some on here act like, but a heifer will bring more.

Latest posts