What to breed Angus heifers to?

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I posted this on the Breeds Board and the Breeding Board. Thanks for your input.

I'm looking at BC Lookout 7024 and SAV Final Answer 0035 to breed to some Angus heifers.

BC Lookout
BW EPD 1.6 ACC .79

SAV Final Answer
BW EPD -.8 ACC .94

Based strickly on BW EDP, I should go with Final Answer; however, are Lookout's EDPs ok for heifers?
Thanks in advance for your input!

UncleLA":gfvqvcjq said:
I posted this on the Breeds Board and the Breeding Board. Thanks for your input.

I'm looking at BC Lookout 7024 and SAV Final Answer 0035 to breed to some Angus heifers.

BC Lookout
BW EPD 1.6 ACC .79

SAV Final Answer
BW EPD -.8 ACC .94

Based strickly on BW EDP, I should go with Final Answer; however, are Lookout's EDPs ok for heifers?
Thanks in advance for your input!

The heifers have some influence on calving ease, too, but Lookout's Calving Ease Direct EPD (CED) is not good. And his accuracy is well below .85 so his calving ease may get worse. Looking through his pedigree, his maternal grand sire (Equator) has a 7 lb BW EPD and a -6 CED. I'd go with the more proven calving ease bull, Final Answer, for that first calf. Then you can breed them to about anything you're interested in. For what it's worth, you might want to watch the BWs on the calves you'll be producing. Commercial cattlemen tend to shy away from animals with higher BWs.

Depends on what you're shooting for.

Of the two, I'd feel more comfortable with FA's calving ease, but I'd have some concern about whether or not he's a FCS carrier, with 598 as his MGS; and with a -$2.89 $EN, his daughters will take quite a bit of feed to get 'em to re-cycle and breed back. He's got good growth and carcass numbers, and his $W is pretty good.

I really like all the OCC stuff on the topside of Lookout's pedigree, and 23-4 on the bottom. AAA claims that anything less than a +3.0 BW should be OK for heifers, but I prefer a CED above 7. With a +$10.33 $EN and $+13 Milk, Lookout daughters will probably be more economical cows than those sired by Final Answer.

I think I would have to pass on Lookout with heifers because of his CED and CEM. I'm not that crazy about 0035, but I would have to go with him if it was down to those two. How about SAV 004 Predominant 4438, he is similar in pedigree, with a much better CED and CEM, and his GeneStar is about the same as the other two?

I too am a big fan of Ohlde cattle company, They have a bunch of really attractive good doing cattle and most all of their bulls calve easy and the calves are very lively at birth. The last 3 years have been an eyeopener for me as far as calving out heifers, we calve 15-20 2 year olds each year and have not had to pull a single calf, we have not had to assist anything heifer or cow and have had over a 100% calf crop (twins) since we went to Ohlde genetics.

They have a ton of calving ease bulls available for $15. The two I am using this year are Linebred and Jupiter. Homer and Moderater are also $15 and have calved easy for us.

For a little more money, Legend at $30 or Emblazon at $50 also are easy calving. Emblazon is still alive , but is at least 14 years old, and if he dies that semen is going to get really expensive, so I wouldn't dillydally if you want to use him.

Also no hydro, am or fcs or funnel butts in those bloodlines. :)

Latest posts