What to A.I. for club calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We have 2 Gelbvieh Angus heifers, 1 Angus/Herford and 1 Angus heifer. We would like to AI them for club calves. What are some good calving ease club bulls with thickness and hair.

They are all 16mos. old and range 800-1000lbs.

mightyarrowsfarm":3a8gebn7 said:
We have 2 Gelbvieh Angus heifers, 1 Angus/Herford and 1 Angus heifer. We would like to AI them for club calves. What are some good calving ease club bulls with thickness and hair.

Only a sprinkling of people here, cross over in to the club calf world. Boot jack, and maybe a few others. I have seen a similar question asked here recently though.

Bigfoot":1m0oakcm said:
mightyarrowsfarm":1m0oakcm said:

Only a sprinkling of people here, cross over in to the club calf world. Boot jack, and maybe a few others. I have seen a similar question asked here recently though.

Thanks for the shout out Bigfoot. My first question, since you live in/near Florida, would be -Are you shows slick shear?

Boot Jack Bulls":190a77x4 said:
Bigfoot":190a77x4 said:
mightyarrowsfarm":190a77x4 said:

Thanks for the shout out Bigfoot. My first question, since you live in/near Florida, would be -Are you shows slick shear?

No, the kids want fluffy ones for shows. The judges here don't like the slick ones. We will have them in stalls and turnout during the evening. We don't want a pasture for of them...just a few for shows. After that we will just A.I. for Angus probably.

I probably won't be using Jonsey though. We do have another guy who does a great job too.

Ok. If you do it right, you may just end up with some decent replacement females out of the deal.
Next two questions-
1. What is the defect status on you females? Our would you just prefer to stay defect clean to avoid hassle?
2. Do you want color, and if so, would it be chromed up blacks, Smokies, reds, ect?

I-80 has worked good here for heifers and the calves have had a good disposition. We just had an I-80 out of a Simmy Angus heifer that's pretty nice. There are others just like Boot Jack is asking it will just depend on what you want. I think you can still get I-80 from ABS. Daddy`s Money is another one I know people are using on heifers but I haven`t yet but probably will when I use all the I-80 that`s in the tank.