what time to ai

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I observed a cow in standing heat at 2 this afternoon. My first time to ai a cow for myself. I took an Ai class earlier this week. when or what time do you think I should a.i. this cow. I ask because my rep says he ai's as soon as he can after he catches them stand.

I know the rule of thumb would be 12 hours after but if you catch them at 2 in the afternoon, you inseminate at 2 in the mourning??? I also thought I might inseminate more than just once, basically for the practice, not totally confident and had some frustration at class. I know economically it is not the best but till I feel confident I thought on a few I might double dose if you will?

I wouldnt wait till 2 in the morning, id do it right before bed maybe, give her gnrh, then if you want a little practice first thing in the morning.
Take your time feel your way through it youll be fine.

bse":9h61slye said:
I wouldnt wait till 2 in the morning, id do it right before bed maybe, give her gnrh, then if you want a little practice first thing in the morning.
Good answer!

bse":3kce3pie said:
X2 My thought to a tee and practice makes perfect Your cost effective if you get her stuck in this cycle

okay that being said, if you where going to ai just once, is the most important time close to the 12 hour mark? :)

heres an update on my ai experience. At school we practice on Holsteins that were not in. there I could defeniately feel the the rings on the cervix and I could tell where the cervix stopped (target area).

I have beef cattle and ai'd 8 hours and 16 hours after seeing standing heat. I am not all that confident tho, I found the chicken neck and where it starts (cervix) but really could not really feel the rings and the cervix felt like it keep going. although when I was going thru the cervix at least what I think was the cervix, the gun felt like I was dragging the tip thru gravel, just like at school. I am thinking those where the rings, and then the rod got easy like it fell thru a hole with no resitance. In my mind that is where I was entering the horns????

Its hard to describe hopefully someone can relate and can give me some pointers I don't know :???: I wish we didn't have to wait 30 days blood test or 21 cycle. I guess I am alittle frustrated thought I would know if I was in the target area definitely. I guess that will come with experience, although I have to give it to the young cow that stood quietly for the most part.

When you feel the gravle those are the opening to the cervix and the rings, when you stop feeling the drag you're into the uterus.

yep that's what it felt like, I guess the question in my mind now was I all the way thru or was I too deep of the target spot. It was hard to tell where at school it was a definite diameter change from cervix to the start of the harns. Where as on my cow it seemed to be the same diameter but a little softer where I could feel the tip of the gun

Put your finger over the end of the cervix and when you feel the pipette bump it you're on target.

I don't think this applies to you with this cow, but when I first started I really had trouble with cows that had wide open cervixes. In class, you really have to work to get the gun through cervixes of cows that aren't in heat. At home, sometimes I would be in a cow longer than I care to admit, when all of a sudden a light would go on and I would realize I'd actually been in the uterus the whole time...looking for the cervix that I'd probably gone through in the first 30 seconds. Oops.