What the $#^%&* is going on ???????????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I sold a cull 10 year old Holstein on Wed. weighing 1690lbs very very fat ..She was age verified as well as a copy of her Holstein Canada Registration papers ..

I got 64.25 for her for a total of $1085.83 ............

This is just crazy what in the world is going on? These are slaughter prices that we had in the early to late 90's..So if things are back on the rise how come feeders are not back to 150.00-200.00 again..And no the price of feed has nothing to do with it; something very odd and precise is going on right now,,,FYI it is not just subjective to Canada it is happening in the U.S. as well..

I will post my replacement heifer prices and weights on my thread on the breeds board.

Same price in this locality as what Van said. Not sure what your complaint is, HD. Must be some strong competition for killing cows among slaughter plants within the reach of your area. Price paid for feeders and price paid for slaughter classes are independent of one another.

ga. prime":65o4o8hj said:
Same price in this locality as what Van said. Not sure what your complaint is, HD. Must be some strong competition for killing cows among slaughter plants within the reach of your area. Price paid for feeders and price paid for slaughter classes are independent of one another.

Must be some strong competition for killing cows among slaughter plants within the reach of your area

NOPE all owned by the same companies as yours are,,,,,, US companies NO competition what so ever ........That has nothing at all to do with it..

Why complain ??????? ... I think it is time more people start asking what the h is going on. This is a not a product and demand price, if anything with all the culls, especially dairy cows in the states with so many going belly up, culls should be like 20-30 cents a pound at the most; the market has been flooded with them as of late..

I will take this price but my top dollar choice and prime animals are not going for what they should,,slaughter houses are yet again manipulating the market for their own benefit alone, and we stand by and take it all..

i think and some might think this is conspiracy theory, but, I think this "some peoples" way of reducing the herd in both countries, thus creating a shortage, eventually driving up feeder prices

Might be a crazy thought

RR

rockridgecattle":1w3b62po said:
i think and some might think this is conspiracy theory, but, I think this "some peoples" way of reducing the herd in both countries, thus creating a shortage, eventually driving up feeder prices

Might be a crazy thought

RR

Bingo !!!!!!!!! That is what we (my vet and I thought as well) Undisclosed subsidies perhaps for the big guys........

If this is the case then,,, for all of us still able too..HOLD ON it could be a heck of a ride in a couple of years..It would be nice to be able to make a profit again.. :nod:

There is no conspiracy here. It is the economy. People are eating out less and they aren't buying as much of the high priced cuts when they go to the store so they aren't buying as many ribeyes and porterhouses both at home and at the steak house. Nobody can cook a roast anymore. What they are doing is hamburger helper, beef and macaroni, tacos, grilled burgers etc so the price of burger (ie cull cows) is soaring while steaks (see fat cattle) are down. Around here Ground Chuck is selling for about half what ribeyes are. When/if the economy turns around people will buy LESS burger meat and more T-bones.

from what i have seen on tv, only poor ignorant uneducated rednecks eat meat.
everyone that is educated and has above average intellect knows that meat is bad and it will kill you.
not to mention how unethical it is to kill and eat an animal.
everyone in the smog filled cities knows cows are the cause of global warming and it is the fault of the dumb bubba rednecks that breed and raise them.
and duh!!! why have cows when walmart has all the food you need ?

thats the problem, the smart people ain't buying meat so walmart quit making it :lol:

cross_7, you need to quit watching whatever gay channels you've been watching and start looking at foodnetwork and stuff.

ga. prime":qnqk0699 said:
You need to quit watching whatever gay channels you've been watching cross_7 and start looking at foodnetwork and stuff.

seems like it's on every dang channel and radio.
seems to get crazier everyday

Brandonm22":jhce79a3 said:
There is no conspiracy here. It is the economy. People are eating out less and they aren't buying as much of the high priced cuts when they go to the store so they aren't buying as many ribeyes and porterhouses both at home and at the steak house. Nobody can cook a roast anymore. What they are doing is hamburger helper, beef and macaroni, tacos, grilled burgers etc so the price of burger (ie cull cows) is soaring while steaks (see fat cattle) are down. Around here Ground Chuck is selling for about half what ribeyes are. When/if the economy turns around people will buy LESS burger meat and more T-bones.

I really like you Brandonm, but what you said makes NO SENSE ,,if this was the case they would not pay more for culls but rather less..

This is has nothing to do with the current government / economy ,as it started when GW was still in office...there is more going on..

hillsdown: XL announced yesterday they are laying off all staff at their MooseJaw cow plant and will no longer be killing cows at the Brooks plant. They said the price for cows was just too high and they couldn't compete with American plants because of the higher costs due to Canadian regulations on SRMs.
I assume this means they will be moving more cows south to their American plants.
They will still be killing cows at the old Calgary plant and Cargill(High River) kills cows one day a week.

hillsdown":1zs8x2z1 said:
Brandonm22":1zs8x2z1 said:

I really like you Brandonm, but what you said makes NO SENSE ,,if this was the case they would not pay more for culls but rather less..

This is has nothing to do with the current government / economy ,as it started when GW was still in office...there is more going on..
Brandon makes perfect sense. Mystery solved.

That's more then a young good solid milker will bring around here.
Over 30 months, fat, Holstein = not much of a market for the meat

I agree with Brandon HD and I think he explained it well

When the demand for burger and cheaper cuts rise the proccessors will pay mor for a cull cow because they have no other inputs getting her to slaughter than the freight and purchase price

Another reason for the increase is last fall when prices tanked on feeders alot of farmers held them instead of selling so we are seeing the effects of not as many feeders being ready for slaughter

I know of probably 1000 hd of hfrs that the guys usually sell for feeders but instead they held them for replacements for their own use or to sell as bred hfrs later on instead of taking $.80 for the last fall

I sold a cow with a bad hip last week weighed 1385 and brought $.59 so I was happy

hillsdown":3s04p115 said:

I am a card carrying member of the Republican National Committee and both my state and local party organizations; but even I have to admit that not everything that happens in the world is political. People were losing their homes BEFORE we changed Presidents. Folks that are living in terror of losing their house, their cars, their credit lines, and/or their job hopefully cut spending. That means they buy less DVDs (see Blockbuster and Movie Gallery), less electronics (see Circuit City), less new cars (see GM and Chrysler), less vacation homes (see FL real estate collapse), and they eat less $9.99 a pound steak dinners and spend less time in Ruby Tuesdays, Golden Corrall, and Ruth Crisp Steak House. Steak prices drive fat cattle. What they can't sell in steaks gets sold at a discount and ground up into burger. Cull cows is all about the price of burger. Folks are cutting back on what they spend, they aren't PENNILESS and starving to death. They are buying burger instead of steaks. You can buy 2 lbs of ground chuck at $2.89 a pound, brown that on the stove, mix it with 2 lbs of boiled elbow pasta at $.99 a pound, a can of tomato sauce at $.89 a can, and a half pound of cheddar cheese at $4 a pound and bake at 350 degrees and feed a family of 4 for $10.65 and probably have left overs.

enjoy the high weigh cow an bull prices.because when they bring those high prices.means people are eating alot of ground beef.an the top end ground beef isnt cheap.its $3 to $4 a lb.

Brandonm made explanation easy (I agree with him), but there is another case to follow:
About 80 people died in Mexico of flue, that is called "Swine flue" (at least in Europe). As I remember what caused the "bird flue" to the poultry business, it's obvious that the pork chops will be condamned in the store shelves. So, the beef will be more looked after... Just watch it. We had some 20%-50% raise in prices for beef last months in Europe and I think it's only the beginning.

Latest posts