What the $#^%&* is going on ???????????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":2z97yeat said:
rockridgecattle":2z97yeat said:
i think and some might think this is conspiracy theory, but, I think this "some peoples" way of reducing the herd in both countries, thus creating a shortage, eventually driving up feeder prices

Might be a crazy thought

RR

Bingo !!!!!!!!! That is what we (my vet and I thought as well) Undisclosed subsidies perhaps for the big guys........

If this is the case then,,, for all of us still able too..HOLD ON it could be a heck of a ride in a couple of years..It would be nice to be able to make a profit again.. :nod:

In this day and age and what with the economy people are going to get hammered left and right on cows as you mentioned. Quit selling at the sale barn if ya dont like the prices. Sell private treaty like I do. Only thing I take to the sale barn are cull cows that are not performers and I know I am going to get hammered on those I dont worry about it I count it as a loss on my taxes.

cowman30":3um9wlfz said:
I know I am going to get hammered on those I dont worry about it I count it as a loss on my taxes.

Unless you bought the cow how do you count it as a loss for tax purposes?

dun":1z2r75jp said:
cowman30":1z2r75jp said:
I know I am going to get hammered on those I dont worry about it I count it as a loss on my taxes.

Unless you bought the cow how do you count it as a loss for tax purposes?

I did buy the cows from a man and then when I cull the cows since I dont get what I paid for them that is a loss. According to the tax man who is also an attorney and farmer himself.

Just be sure you didn't depreciate them first. Most of us depreciate purchased cattle as 5 year property. Then you can't claim the purchase price at the time of salvage.

Brandonm22":2czrfne1 said:
Just be sure you didn't depreciate them first. Most of us depreciate purchased cattle as 5 year property. Then you can't claim the purchase price at the time of salvage.

Right which i was smart enough not to do.

cowman30":14nk0eej said:
Brandonm22":14nk0eej said:

Right which i was smart enough not to do.

I would rather have my money back NOW with as rapid a depreciation schedule as the law will allow in a given year. Life is too short and inflation too costly to actually wait on getting my money back and (unless we are in a corporate world) if I die before the cow is culled I never get that back.

Latest posts