What Tag is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
My grandfather has this older cow...the oldest one on the land...but from what I gather we have had her all her life and we don't I.D. our cows (only with names and tag #s) -- she has a silver tag on her LEFT ear...the only time she has ever really could have been tagged was when we had a vet come out and Bangs tag all the cows we could get in the lot...but I know the bangs is supposed to go on the right ear...anyways today I decided to take a closer look at the tag and from what I can read it says:
US - V S.

Any ideas what this is...I don't think that anything is on the bottom side but I could be wrong - and I also didn't see any tattoos on her ear either, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have one

FARM261.jpg

FARM267.jpg

Angus Cowman":2tl3v16d said:
I would say it is a bangs tag and I bet it has a number on the bottom

So you think the vet just messed up and put it on the wrong side???

K2011":3vpm2x2h said:
Angus Cowman":3vpm2x2h said:
I would say it is a bangs tag and I bet it has a number on the bottom

So you think the vet just messed up and put it on the wrong side???
I have seen it happen before
I used to work with a left handed vet and everything we did was backwards either to me or to her :lol:

What kind of cow is it? Where did your grandfather get the cow?

My guess is it is not a bangs tag.

What other testing has been done on her? BVD ear notch? -- I've seen tags on other cows that have been in and out of some feedlots for the winter and it may have something to do with the testing they do to ensure the safety of all the animals there.

To move cows into some areas they require a blood test for bangs. They put a tag in them when they test so they can tell which is positive if one turns up. It's not a bangs tag it's just a blood test tag they use.

You are looking at the bottom of a USDA Veterinary Services official tag. If you look carefully the ear tag was applied correctly but over time the hole has worn and the tag has turned over so the clasp faces outward instead of inward. Chances are there are numbers on the other side, sometimes they become very worn and difficult to read.

This tag was applied by a USDA vet for some reason, either testing or movement. If you have the number it should be tracable to the point of application but it may be difficult to get that info unless you have a reason that exceeds curiosity's sake.

Latest posts