what size tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a bigger tractor. I currently have a TC35a and was thinking of getting a bigger tractor to bale about 10acres or so How big do I need as far as PTO hp?

DustyH":3ojdcpkf said:
I am thinking of getting a bigger tractor. I currently have a TC35a and was thinking of getting a bigger tractor to bale about 10acres or so How big do I need as far as PTO hp?

Baler?

Other equipment size and use?

Other potential uses?

Bez>

DustyH":20b5agq8 said:
that depends on the size of the baler youll be pulling.if its a round baler id say you want min of 55 pto hp.because youll be pulling a small baler.if its a sq baler then id say 45 pto hp will be fine.

My dad and I both have 65 PTO hp tractors (his is a Case, mine is a Farmtrac). For our operation, that is the smallest tractor that we've been able to successfully do all our farming chores.

We've had smaller tractors over the years and kept wanting to move up in HP every time we purchased another tractor. Once we got to 65 HP, we've never had the urge to go bigger.

We do hay field work yearly including Round Baling. We do some tillage work every year. We pull a 10 ft brush hog. We pull loaded fertilizer spreaders. All tasks are comfortably performed with 65 HP.

DustyH":1wcw3wmn said:
Rebel5410.jpg

There are no hills in LA so 40 PTO HP will walk off with a Vermeer Rebel 5410. If you want to do haylage then you will need 50 HP or a little better. There is nothing wrong with having some extra HP. The Vermeer 5410 will pull much easier than the New Holland BR740 and still make 1200 LBS rock hard bales using less fuel.

Latest posts